response.write on postback

Jason Hartsoe

I get the error:
Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException: The message received
from the server could not be parsed. Common causes for this error are when
the response is modified by calls to Response.Write...when i postback to the
page. The problem is, i need to write some dynamic javascript on postback
and make sure it's rendered to the page.

I'm setting up Omniture analytics for my site,

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--
s.pageName = "Home"
s.channel = "Home"
s.hier1 = "Home"
s.prop1="Something Dynamic Should Go Here"
var s_code = s.t(); if (s_code) document.write(s_code)//--></script>

I product an array of products to fill the "s.prop" variables. How can I
get them from the codebehind, to the s.prop1="something, s.prop2="something
more" and so on. Is there anyway to write from codebehind into the place
where s.prop starts? I tried response.write...but it fails after postback.

Thanks!

Jason Hartsoe

i forgot to mention it's inside an update panel...so if I could retrieve the
variables from codebehind...i would.

bruce barker

response.write can not be used with update panels. nor can the panel have
inline javascript. as the update panel works by setting the innerHTML of its
div, any javascript blocks in html fragment are ignored by the browser. to
send new script with an update panel you must use the ajax scriptmanger (not
the asp.net one) and it client script register routines. scriptmanger sends
the javascript in a seperate part of the payload, and client side ajax code
parses it and adds it to the dom.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Jason Hartsoe

i thought that may be the case...but how can I add dynamic variables to the
javascript on postback? I'm reading a DB, throwing them into an array, then
i need to output them to the javascript block....is that possible?