Responsive java application on windows ?

Guy

I have dealt recently with two java application on windows:
- InstallShield 11.5
- Aqua Data Studio 4.7.2

The interface of the InstalShield 11.5 is slow, ugly and not
responsive. But the Aqua Studio is much better. I did'nt thought it
was possible with the AWT or Swing library. How did they do it ?

One currious sign, if I use SnagIt to try to capture some sub windows
of Aqua Data, it grabs only the main window. Usually, any sub-windows
(list boxes, grid, editor) can be captured independently. As if they
have one main window, and they paint their own interface without
resorting to Windows window ?

Guy

By coding one's program incorrectly, one can make it ugly.  By coding it
correctly, one can make it pretty.  Why in the world would Swing be different?

I thought I've read that Swing was monstuous, difficult to understand,
and dépassé ?

Andrew Thompson

I thought I've read ..

Why not get back to us when you can be sure of an URL
(or ISBN)?
..that Swing was monstuous, difficult to understand,
and dépassé ?

Many things are written, but only some of the
things that are written, are correct.

...Or should we start quoting Leviticus?

Arne Vajhøj

Guy said:
I have dealt recently with two java application on windows:
- InstallShield 11.5
- Aqua Data Studio 4.7.2

The interface of the InstalShield 11.5 is slow, ugly and not
responsive. But the Aqua Studio is much better. I did'nt thought it
was possible with the AWT or Swing library. How did they do it ?

If the PC is sufficient powerful, then the user experience
depends on the programmer writing the GUI and how much
time he/she has to do the job.

Arne