restated: VS Develper (non Admin) missing IIS MMC Management

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew Clancy, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm reposting this question as no resultion as yet. Couple of updates,
    so re-read if you have seen before.

    I am trying to set up VS Developer users with non-administrator rights
    debug ASP (3) in VB.Net, and of course manage IIS MMC. This has
    succeeeded on 3 machines, including my own - but since then it hasnt
    been able to work, with seemingly exactly the same install & debug
    setup. All machines are Windows 2000 Pro with IIS 5.0.

    My main 2 problems are:
    1. the user cannot see the web site properties in MMC. Note: I do not
    have the operators tab as it is 2000 pro.
    2. I get all of the errors from this kb article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320451
    (but tried the resolution and it's not it)
    Note: I've copied and paste the errors below for your convenience.

    I have tried re-installing IIS, VB.Net & ASP.Net 1.1 (in that order),
    doing the usual permission stuff (adding the user to debugger & vs
    developer group, file permissions on inetpub and temp asp.net files,
    etc etc). Frontpage is installed (this shouldnt matter as it is a
    local box not remote debugging). And I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe
    reg'ing aspnet_isapi.dll). I've tried everything!

    This is an absolute pain as we are all still developing in ASP 3 and
    moving forward has taken 18 months sofar and got nowhere - any ideas
    would be great!

    Thanks,
    Andrew Clancy

    Errors when creating a VB.Net Web Application project (locally)

    Microsoft Development Environment
    The Web was created successfully, but an error occurred when trying to
    configure the application root for this Web. Web projects may not
    operate correctly without an application root. The returned error was:
    Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A possible cause
    for this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet
    Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. The usual cause
    for this error is creating Web projects on a Windows 2000 or newer
    server from a Windows NT 4.0 client. You can manually configure the
    application root using the Internet Services Manager.
    -or-

    Microsoft Development Environment
    Unable to set the permissions on the 'bin' folder to restrict browse
    access. Active Directory Services cannot find the web server. A
    possible cause for this is an incompatibility between versions of
    Internet Information Server (IIS) on the client and the server. The
    usual cause for this error is creating Web projects on a Windows 2000
    or newer server from a Windows NT 4.0 client. You can manually
    restrict browse access to this folder using the Internet Services
    Manager.

    Andrew Clancy, Aug 16, 2004

  2. trying again, more newsgroups this time. Does anyone have any ideas how to
    allow IIS management for non-admin users in Window 2000 Pro, and deal with
    the errors in .Net project creation outlined below??

    Andrew Clancy, Aug 16, 2004