Restful design

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mazdotnet, May 14, 2008.

  1. mazdotnet

    mazdotnet Guest

    Hi guys,

    I need some architecture design verification. We have a site on shared
    hosting so I can not use ISAPI filters to do any URL redirecting..etc.
    We need to allow our end users to access some data so they can display
    it on their site. I've been reading a lot of REST which is really easy
    to use. However, I have some questions,
    1. All the example have a the URL as http://www.mysite.com/rest/people
    to return a list of people. Can I have it as http://www.mysite.com/rest/people.aspx?
    I can easy create folder 'people' and have the code in default.aspx
    then they can access it by http://www.mysite.com/rest/people
    2. Is it ok to make it so that our end users do a POST to that URL and
    then return back XML
    3. Do I still have to pass the USERNAME/PASSWORD in every call?

    Am I on the right track here? Is this still considered a REST
    Service?

    Thank you and I really appreciate your feedback
    Maz.

    mazdotnet, May 14, 2008

  2. You can have the url anyway you see fit. Also, you do not need ISAPI filters
    to do urlrewriting for ASP.NET - take a look at some of the open-source
    urlrewriting projects such as Urlrewriting.Net.
    Your end users can do a POST verb and you return xml. As long as you spell
    out to users how your API works, there is no absolute "rule" that you must
    only do it a certain way.
    You can handle authentication any way you want - either with cookies, or
    require to pass username / password on the RESTful querystring, or a user
    token, whatever.
    --Peter

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], May 14, 2008

  3. mazdotnet

    mazdotnet Guest

    On May 14, 4:16 pm, "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]"
    <> wrote:
    > You can have the url anyway you see fit. Also, you do not need ISAPI filters
    > to do urlrewriting for ASP.NET - take a look at some of the open-source
    > urlrewriting projects such as Urlrewriting.Net.
    > Your end users can do a POST verb and you return xml. As long as you spell
    > out to users how your API works, there is no absolute "rule" that you must
    > only do it a certain way.
    > You can handle authentication any way you want - either with cookies, or
    > require to pass username / password on the RESTful querystring, or a user
    > token, whatever.
    > --Peter
    >
    > "mazdotnet" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi guys,

    > > I need some architecture design verification. We have a site on shared
    > > hosting so I can not use ISAPI filters to do any URL redirecting..etc.
    > > We need to allow our end users to access some data so they can display
    > > it on their site. I've been reading a lot of REST which is really easy
    > > to use. However, I have some questions,
    > > 1. All the example have a the URL ashttp://www.mysite.com/rest/people
    > > to return a list of people. Can I have it as
    > >http://www.mysite.com/rest/people.aspx?
    > > I can easy create folder 'people' and have the code in default.aspx
    > > then they can access it byhttp://www.mysite.com/rest/people
    > > 2. Is it ok to make it so that our end users do a POST to that URL and
    > > then return back XML
    > > 3. Do I still have to pass the USERNAME/PASSWORD in every call?

    > > Am I on the right track here? Is this still considered a REST
    > > Service?

    > > Thank you and I really appreciate your feedback
    > > Maz.- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you so much for clarifying this up for me :)
    Maz

    mazdotnet, May 14, 2008