    is pretty broken - I'm changing things as per the suggestions some great
    people in this this group to eliminate the absolute positioning.)

    Thanks in advance, Rich West

    Rich West, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Rich West

    m Guest

    Rich West wrote:

    > I have thumbnails images and when clicked, I'd like to open a new window
    > with a larger view. So far, no problems with that. But when the larger
    > image popup window is already open (from a previous click on the link),
    > I'd like the larger view window to come to the top. As it is now, if the
    > popup is open and behind another window, it just appears as if the link
    > isn't working.

    Send .....focus() to the window being opened.
    YMMV.
    Better methods than popups are available;
    I never use them anymore.
    http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/
    may be of help.
    --
    cheers m

    m, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Rich West wrote:
    > I have thumbnails images and when clicked, I'd like to open a new
    > window with a larger view.

    Check your context sensitive menu - most recent graphical browsers have some
    facility for opening links in a new tab/window.

    > it is now, if the popup is open and behind another window, it just
    > appears as if the link isn't working.

    which it probably isn't unless the pop-stopper is broken/disabled

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Rich West

    Steve R. Guest

    Rich West wrote in message ...
    > As it is now, if the popup
    > is open and behind another window, it just appears as if the link isn't
    > working.

    Put a small notice *IN CLEAR TEXT* to close the window after viewing. On my
    monitor your text next to the images is barely legible.

    Steve R., Jan 20, 2004
  5. Rich West

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Rich West

    DU Guest

    William Tasso wrote:

    > Rich West wrote:
    >
    >>I have thumbnails images and when clicked, I'd like to open a new
    >>window with a larger view.

    > Check your context sensitive menu - most recent graphical browsers have some
    > facility for opening links in a new tab/window.

    The link is coded in a manner that it should open in a new separate
    window. Here you're suggesting that the user does that by himself. The
    thing is that if he does that, he will open a second separate window (an
    unnamed one, a "_blank" one) with the exact same content.

    >>it is now, if the popup is open and behind another window, it just
    >>appears as if the link isn't working.

    > which it probably isn't unless the pop-stopper is broken/disabled

    No, sorry, but that's not it. The original post refer to a real and very
    frequent problem with secondary windows. The methods open() and focus()
    are distinct and doing well delimited actions. When clicking the link
    triggering the open() call, the creation of the window is done: so the
    function is not executed and the window is still maintained behind the
    opener.

    DU

    DU, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Rich West

    DU Guest

    Rich West wrote:

    > I have thumbnails images and when clicked, I'd like to open a new window
    > with a larger view. So far, no problems with that. But when the larger
    > image popup window is already open (from a previous click on the link), I'd
    > like the larger view window to come to the top. As it is now, if the popup
    > is open and behind another window, it just appears as if the link isn't
    > working.

    I understand. Examine these documents carefully (and the js functions):

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/EnlargeThumbnail.html

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DynamicInsertionDOMImageInPopup.html

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/Netscape7/Popup/PopupAndNetscape7.html#RaiseLowerSetting

    > I've only put in the code in for the first picture - golden landscape:
    > http://www.tsmithstudio.com/landscapes.html ( I know the rest of the site
    > is pretty broken

    IMO, your code needs a lot of tuning. For starters, I would choose a
    color of text so that the color constrast with the background color
    would be stronger: it's difficult to read right now (as someone in this
    thread also mentioned). Also, having the #scroller with overflow:scroll
    and overflow-y: hidden is quite wrong. It should be overflow:auto and to
    drop MSIE-only overflow-y.

    DU

    DU, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Rich West