Restoring state to a web page accessed previously

McGeeky

I am implementing a series of sequential web pages, a wizard, whereby the
user can step back to a previous page. I want to restore the state of those
pages if the user navigates back to them. Only being new to ASP.Net, I am
not sure if it provides facilities to manage this scenario. Any info would
be appreciated, thanks.

Guest

While the use of cookies is a nice option, but one caveat with cookies is
that it can be tampered with or deleted by the user. Another thing to
remember is that it has a storage limitation of 4KB only. If you are not
concerned with any of the above, you could also save cookies in memory by
setting cookieless= true in the session state settings in your web.config
file.

But as always you can never go wrong with Cache, Session state management as
Serge suggested.

Cheers,

Obi Oberoi

McGeeky

Thanks Serge.

By using the session state, does that mean I need to put all of the state in
to the session manually?

Is there no way to reuse the viewstate mechanism that ASP.Net uses when you
operate on a single page, but somehow preserve across pages?

Guest

Yes, with session you have to handle them manually. In a sesion state you can
event store a complete object lke :

Session("USerInfo") =MyUserInfoOBject

Remeber that session stand for single user, otherwise use application state

ViewState can be use to retrive Readonly controls properties