Restrict number of concurrent login - Help me olease

Guest

Hi everyone,
Can someone suggest a way of monitoring the number of logins for each user
in a particular session to make sure that a particular user cannot log in
twice in the same session? I have thought of using Application-level counter
or even store the counter in the database but it will not work (100% of the
time that is) when the user's session timed out, or user clicking the IE back
button or even close down the browser completely.

Any suggestion is greatly welcomed.
KD

Kevin Spencer

Hi Calvin,

The problem is, there is only one remote client per Session, so your
question doesn't exactly make sense as stated. A Session is created every
time a user accesses your web site, and lasts for 20 minutes after the
client stops making requests, when it times out due to a lack of requests.
So, what exactly is it you're trying to prevent? Apparently, you're
referring to something other than Session (which is why tinkering with the
Session isn't a solution), and you're having some trouble describing it, so
some more description of the problem would be helpful. More is better.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Sometimes you eat the elephant.
Sometimes the elephant eats you.

Guest

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply. What I really wanted to control is the number of
logins per account to 1 at any one time. What that really means is we don't
want the user's credentials, at best, being passed around instead of having
to request additional login accounts and as the consequence, no control over
user's actions is possible. Therefore, I'd like to somehow lock the account
once the user is successfully logged in and unlock it (automatically if
possible) when the user finished with the session.
Sorry about my wordly description of the problem but I hope you and everyone
out there can understand what I'm trying to do and offer much needed
resolution.

Look forward to your reply.
KD