    if only one person at a time was allowed to access it. Using vb.net version
    3.5. Can be accessed from both Intranet and Internet.

    Thanks

    Gerhard, Jul 7, 2009

  2. Hi Gerhard,

    >Is there a best practice way to restrict a web page to only one user at a
    >time? This is for a business page that is not used often and would be

    best
    >if only one person at a time was allowed to access it. Using vb.net

    version
    >3.5. Can be accessed from both Intranet and Internet.

    I agree with Mark. What I want to supplement is, if you have to do so an
    option is to use membership and use this method to get the approximate
    number of online users.

    Membership.GetNumberOfUsersOnline()

    You can check it at the begining and redirect user to another page telling
    him to wait, if the value is 1. This is the simplest option. If a user is
    inactive for 15 mins (by default), he is not recognized as online user.
    Therefore another user can access the page.

    Please let me know if this can solve this issue.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Jul 8, 2009

  3. Gerhard

    Patrice Guest

    As this is unusual you may want to start fist by explaining what is the
    problem when multiple users are hiting this page. This way, someone will be
    perhaps able to suggest how to solve the original issue rather than
    implementing a workaround on top of the original issue...

    If this is for data updates for example, optimistic concurrency could
    perhaps help...

    --
    Patrice

    discussion : ...

    Patrice, Jul 8, 2009
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2VyaGFyZA==?= <> wrote in

    > Is there a best practice way to restrict a web page to only one user
    > at a time? This is for a business page that is not used often and
    > would be best if only one person at a time was allowed to access it.
    > Using vb.net version 3.5. Can be accessed from both Intranet and
    > Internet.

    You cannot lock a single page, or at least not easily. You can put the page
    in a database, perhaps, and put a lock on the data and then determine
    whether or not to show it to another person. There is a problem with that
    approach, however. How do you know when a person is no longer viewing a
    page. Here are specifics:

    1. User clicks another link - You now can free up the resource
    2. User closes browser - You have no indicator he left
    3. User types in new URL - You have no indicator he left

    With #2 and #3, you can wait for session time out, but that locks the
    resource for 20 minutes.

    Best practice states you should optimistically lock records, meaning you
    determine if they are changed when the user submits a change. If this does
    not work, and you truly need to restrict to one person, you are best to set
    up a windows app (Silverlight is an option for the web) and restrict there.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 8, 2009
  5. Regarding recruitment !!!

    Hi,

    I am sendu an recruiter from E*pro.

    Nice to have a glance every day in this community and its people. Happy to
    observe its concept and postings. I am working with a recruiting firm and
    recruiting people in various IT,Accounting,ITES and other domains. I need
    updated resume from people in Various parts of US. I can help them in getting
    a better oppurtinity in any field of their aspiration.

    Mail ur updated CV to:

    Warm Regards,
    N.Sendu.
    E*pro.

    Recruitment !!!, Jul 8, 2009
  12. Re: Regarding recruitment !!

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjcnVpdG1lbnQgISEh?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am sendu an recruiter from E*pro.
    >
    > Nice to have a glance every day in this community and its people.
    > Happy to observe its concept and postings. I am working with a
    > recruiting firm and recruiting people in various IT,Accounting,ITES
    > and other domains. I need updated resume from people in Various parts
    > of US. I can help them in getting a better oppurtinity in any field of
    > their aspiration.

    Are you desperate or just an idiot?

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer