    page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
    viewing my page.

    Thanks in advance,

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Hi,

    > Will someone please share their java script code that I can use on my web
    > page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
    > viewing my page.

    Check the useragent. That can be done in cgi, so if the person using IE
    doesn't have JS running, they still won't get through.

    That said, the web is all about not excluding anyone (even if some think
    it is), so please, don't bar a browser. Some just aren't aware there are
    alternatives, or if there are, how to install and use them. Stopping
    them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they don't
    return.

    TTFN

    Paul

    --

    http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk

    Joy!

    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 25, 2004

  3. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> Will someone please share their java script

    .... snip ..

    > Check the useragent.
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you very much Paul. Would you send that cgi script to my email
    address.

    - Peace -

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  4. mutant

    lostinspace Guest

    "Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they
    don't return."

    Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this thread?

    Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't stop
    me from avoiding their path at all costs.
    Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

    lostinspace, Oct 25, 2004
  5. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:53:51 +0000, lostinspace wrote:

    Hey lost in space. I'll try to answer you.

    > "Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure they
    > don't return."

    Is this why the guys who block linux browsers do it?

    > Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this thread?

    I can see how that could be seen; but, no.

    > Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't stop
    > me from avoiding their path at all costs.
    > Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

    I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  6. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> Will someone please share their java script

    .... snip ..

    > Check the useragent.
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you very much Paul. Would you or anyone else send a cgi script
    like that to my email address.

    - Peace -

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  7. mutant

    lostinspace Guest

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:53:51 +0000, lostinspace wrote:
    >
    > Hey lost in space. I'll try to answer you.
    >
    >> "Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure
    >> they
    >> don't return."

    > Is this why the guys who block linux browsers do it?
    >

    >> Duh! Like isn't denying visitors you do not desire the point of this
    >> thread?

    > I can see how that could be seen; but, no.
    >

    >> Even many people in automobiles have no business driving. That doesn't
    >> stop
    >> me from avoiding their path at all costs.
    >> Especially when they belong on a tricycle with toddlers.

    > I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?

    mutant,
    each "competent" webmaster makes a decision as to what
    traffic they desire, the goals of their website (s) and what is detrimental
    or beneficial to their own website (s).
    I haven't a clue what your goals are for your website (s) nor you mine.

    Your initial inquiry was related to denying a specific type of visitor to
    your website (s).
    Java is a non-effective method for that.

    Server Side is more effective.
    In the event that you have your own server, http.something another is for
    that purpose.
    In the even that your website (s) are hosted, the only option you have is
    htaccess.

    All this crap about CPU load is exactly that.
    My htaccess in just under 1000 lines and there is no CPU load. I've checked
    time and again with my host.

    I see numbers like the following for traffic and all I see is more crap:

    "250 requests per second (lets call them
    hits). That's two and a bit million per day. 684 million hits per month."
    end of quote and from another thread in alt.www.webmaster.

    It has been my experience in following my sites traffic patterns to provide
    a denial line which has the least overall effect on traffic as a whole. In
    some instances that may be possible with a small IP range. In other
    instances it may be accomplished with either a UA or REFER reference.
    It's not full-proof or 100% effective. It does provide a solution to
    intrusions (which ISP's will not act upon [violations of UAG or TOS]) which
    previously didn't exist for many webmasters. And still today, many
    webmasters don't even bother looking at logs or traffic patterns as related
    to the goals of their website, much less understanding that traffic.

    " I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?"

    I'm not sure what this is about?

    lostinspace, Oct 25, 2004
  8. mutant

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 GMT, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Check the useragent.

    Which can be spoofed, so you could easily unwittingly block users of
    other browsers as well.

    > That said, the web is all about not excluding anyone (even if some think
    > it is), so please, don't bar a browser. Some just aren't aware there are
    > alternatives, or if there are, how to install and use them.

    No disagreement there. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. :)

    > Stopping them from using your website won't do anything except ensure
    > they don't return.

    Nor their friends, or family, even if they do use a different browser. ]

    To the OP: You're going to be losing the vast majority of your visitors,
    even if you do get it working the way you want it to.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 25, 2004
  9. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:06:13 +0000, lostinspace wrote:

    I have read your post. Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

    And thanks again ...

    ....snip ..

    I am not going to edit your post. "<i>save the bandwidth</i>

    > mutant,
    > each "competent" webmaster makes a decision as to what
    > traffic they desire, the goals of their website (s) and what is detrimental
    > or beneficial to their own website (s).

    Ok I think this is here for someone other than myself. I mean it has to be.

    > I haven't a clue what your goals are for your website (s) nor you mine.

    I can share but is that allowed here? As for yours, you can share. But
    only share the uncopyrighted stuff. I live in America and can go to prison
    for messing with copyrighted stuff. We might be doing the same thing....

    > Your initial inquiry was related to denying a specific type of visitor to
    > your website (s).

    For me... this took some thought. And I think I know what you mean. Not
    because you are unclear but, more that I have more than one way of seeing
    things.

    Yes

    > Java is a non-effective method for that.

    The last I had read sometime ago it was the only way. I did not mean for
    you to think me knowledge or current because I am not. Like I said. Last I
    knew that was the only way. I never used it so I don't know how that went
    either.

    > Server Side is more effective.

    My understanding is that everything is safer server side. But that's just
    my read. Which is why I need a newsgroup. It's like seeing it through
    another's eyes.

    > In the event that you have your own server, http.something another is for
    > that purpose.

    HuH?

    > In the even that your website (s) are hosted, the only option you have is
    > htaccess.

    > All this crap about CPU load is exactly that.

    Wow... where did that come from?!

    > My htaccess in just under 1000 lines and there is no CPU load. I've checked
    > time and again with my host.

    decaf ....decaf .... decaf

    > I see numbers like the following for traffic and all I see is more crap:

    Um .... I got to go now ......

    > "250 requests per second (lets call them
    > hits). That's two and a bit million per day. 684 million hits per month."
    > end of quote and from another thread in alt.www.webmaster.

    Ok man Ok

    > It has been my experience in following my sites traffic patterns to provide
    > a denial line which has the least overall effect on traffic as a whole. In
    > some instances that may be possible with a small IP range. In other
    > instances it may be accomplished with either a UA or REFER reference.
    > It's not full-proof or 100% effective. It does provide a solution to
    > intrusions (which ISP's will not act upon [violations of UAG or TOS]) which
    > previously didn't exist for many webmasters. And still today, many
    > webmasters don't even bother looking at logs or traffic patterns as related
    > to the goals of their website, much less understanding that traffic.
    >

    > " I like wear a mask around viruses. Do you know what I mean?"
    >
    > I'm not sure what this is about?

    I have read in several mediums that Microsoft's internet browser in
    insecure. Also everyone knows that that is the stuff that gets virus.

    So virus = bug(s)
    mask = protection from bugs
    restricting virus prone computers from my web site = priceless.

    - Peace -
    Mutant

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  10. mutant

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:03:36 GMT, mutant <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:06:13 +0000, lostinspace wrote:
    >> Java is a non-effective method for that.

    > The last I had read sometime ago it was the only way. I did not mean for
    > you to think me knowledge or current because I am not. Like I said. Last
    > knew that was the only way. I never used it so I don't know how that went
    > either.
    >
    >> Server Side is more effective.

    > My understanding is that everything is safer server side. But that's just
    > my read. Which is why I need a newsgroup. It's like seeing it through
    > another's eyes.

    Simple. Client-side requires the ability to run scripts in the browser.
    Server-side has the script on the server. So when you do things
    server-side, you know the script will run.

    There are other details to contend with concerning determining the UA, but
    server-side scripting is the only reliable way to do it.

    > So virus = bug(s)
    > mask = protection from bugs
    > restricting virus prone computers from my web site = priceless.

    Are you under the impression that somehow you can catch a virus from a
    user visiting your website??

    My, oh my, you're mistaken. Unless you offer some sort of uplink for that
    virus to go through, no, your site is safe from IE users.

    Neal, Oct 25, 2004
  11. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:11:13 -0400, Neal wrote:

    .... Big snip ..

    > My, oh my, you're mistaken. Unless you offer some sort of uplink for that
    > virus to go through, no, your site is safe from IE users.

    So can you do me a script? I'm googling UA/cgi-POST method. But I won't
    feel cheated at all if you or anyone else will get a script to me. Hey
    ascii > image. I'll type it.

    Thanks (hopefully)
    =(-:

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  12. mutant

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:19:23 GMT, mutant <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:11:13 -0400, Neal wrote:
    >
    > ... Big snip ..
    >
    >> My, oh my, you're mistaken. Unless you offer some sort of uplink for
    >> that
    >> virus to go through, no, your site is safe from IE users.

    > So can you do me a script? I'm googling UA/cgi-POST method. But I won't
    > feel cheated at all if you or anyone else will get a script to me. Hey
    > ascii > image. I'll type it.

    Nah, number one, I'm not good with scripts. Number two, you generally will
    need to know how your script works. Why not work one out, post about it in
    a Perl or PHP newsgroup (depending on what you come up with) and let the
    really good people at that language guide you?

    Seriously, you've gotten what you can here.

    Neal, Oct 25, 2004
  13. mutant

    mutant Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:23:59 -0400, Neal wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:19:23 GMT, mutant <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:11:13 -0400, Neal wrote:
    >>
    >> ... Big snip ..
    >>
    >>> My, oh my, you're mistaken. Unless you offer some sort of uplink for
    >>> that
    >>> virus to go through, no, your site is safe from IE users.

    >> So can you do me a script? I'm googling UA/cgi-POST method. But I won't
    >> feel cheated at all if you or anyone else will get a script to me. Hey
    >> ascii > image. I'll type it.

    > Nah, number one, I'm not good with scripts. Number two, you generally will
    > need to know how your script works. Why not work one out, post about it in
    > a Perl or PHP newsgroup (depending on what you come up with) and let the
    > really good people at that language guide you?
    >
    > Seriously, you've gotten what you can here.

    Thanks. I guess I'll go figure which way has the least over-head/most
    secure... the usual suspects and go from there.

    - Peace -
    Mutant

    mutant, Oct 25, 2004
  14. Hi

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 GMT, "Paul F. Johnson"
    > <> declared in alt.html:

    >>Check the useragent.

    > Which can be spoofed, so you could easily unwittingly block users of
    > other browsers as well.

    Yep. I know it can be spoofed, but it's the simplest (and safest in
    terms of it being SS rather than CS) way to do it.

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 25, 2004
  15. mutant

    Toby Inkster Guest

    mutant wrote:

    > Will someone please share their java script code that I can use on my web
    > page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
    > viewing my page.

    You could do something like:

    <!--[if IE]>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    window.location.href="http://www.google.com/";
    </script>
    <![endif]-->

    but it wouldn't work in the cases where someone has disabled Javascript.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 25, 2004
  16. mutant

    Toby Inkster Guest

    mutant wrote:

    > Will someone please share their java script code that I can use on my web
    > page to disallow the MS(copywrite,inc,registered all that)browser from
    > viewing my page.

    Further to my earlier post, a better way would be to:

    1. Write all your pages as valid XHTML 1.1 Strict.
    2. Serve them with Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml.
    3. Watch IE users scream in horror.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 25, 2004
  17. Hi,

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Further to my earlier post, a better way would be to:
    >
    > 1. Write all your pages as valid XHTML 1.1 Strict.
    > 2. Serve them with Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml.
    > 3. Watch IE users scream in horror.

    You're evil you are ;-p

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 25, 2004
  18. mutant

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:00:07 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >1. Write all your pages as valid XHTML 1.1 Strict.
    >2. Serve them with Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml.
    >3. Watch IE users scream in horror.

    Cruel ! That really is the best answer so far.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 26, 2004
  19. mutant

    Lemming Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:57:56 GMT, mutant <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:34:27 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >>> Will someone please share their java script

    >... snip ..
    >>
    >> Check the useragent.
    >>
    >> Paul

    >Thank you very much Paul. Would you or anyone else send a cgi script
    >like that to my email address.

    A cgi script on your server that you don't understand is a major
    security risk. Allowing IE users to read your site is zero risk.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

    Lemming, Oct 26, 2004
  20. mutant

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >1. Write all your pages as valid XHTML 1.1 Strict.

    XHTML 1.1 comes in one flavour, no Strict or Transitional subtypes.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Oct 26, 2004