    opens opens the link in it. Is there a way to prevent this? To somehow
    identifiy that browser window as "off limits" to another app?

    Thanks.
    Dave Holmes, May 24, 2005

  2. Is there any way for you to control it on your computer? Possibly. Is
    there a way for you as the Web site owner to control it? No, definitely
    not.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], May 24, 2005

  3. Dave Holmes

    Dave Holmes Guest

    There is a way to control it on your computer for IE (Internet Options
    -> Advanced Tab -> uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts", but
    that doesn't really help me.
    Dave Holmes, May 24, 2005
  4. "Dave Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to keep an other application from opening a link in a
    > browser where I am running an ASP application?
    >
    > For example, I have an ASP application open in a browser. If I click on
    > a link in an email message, Outlook "hijacks" the open browser and
    > opens opens the link in it. Is there a way to prevent this? To somehow
    > identifiy that browser window as "off limits" to another app?

    That is not a hijacking, it's called a protocol handler, and it's only
    Outlook on your system because you installed it there, could be OE, Eudora,
    Lotus Notes, Novel's funky CRM thing or any of dozens [if not hundreds] of
    other handlers.

    It would have to be disabled on a client-by-client basis, and it couldn't be
    done just for your pages. It would also need to be done from an exe, if
    it's possible from script, it'd be a vulnerability that would surely be
    patched if discovered.

    Would you also want to get rid of the context menu options to open in a new
    window? It might be possible but again, it would impact the whole client
    system.

    Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless trash
    that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to respect the
    client system and do everything in our power to preserve its integrity.

    Whatever your goals are, they should be considered in that light.

    -Mark

    (Jobs are cheap, don't code anything that compromises your ethics, for any
    amount of money, doing so degrades your own career, and it weakens IT as a
    whole. Developers unite! Just say "NO"!)

    Mark J. McGinty, May 24, 2005
  5. Dave Holmes

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    > but that doesn't really help me.
    So what you're saying is that there isn't a way?

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, May 25, 2005
  6. Dave Holmes

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    >Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless trash
    >that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to respect the
    >client system and do everything in our power to preserve its integrity.

    You mean like the way msn.com doesn't respect the client if it happens to be
    FireFox? For starters; Right-click most links at msn.com in FireFox.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, May 25, 2005
  7. "Bob Lehmann" <> wrote in message
    > >Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless trash
    >>that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to respect the
    >>client system and do everything in our power to preserve its integrity.

    > You mean like the way msn.com doesn't respect the client if it happens to
    > be
    > FireFox? For starters; Right-click most links at msn.com in FireFox.

    User Agent Switcher - Firefox Extension
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=59
    Chris Hohmann, May 25, 2005
  8. Dave Holmes

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bob Lehmann"
    <> writing in

    >>Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless
    >>trash that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to
    >>respect the client system and do everything in our power to preserve
    >>its integrity.

    > You mean like the way msn.com doesn't respect the client if it happens
    > to be FireFox? For starters; Right-click most links at msn.com in
    > FireFox.

    Holy Right Mouse Button Batman! I never knew that, but then, I use
    Opera, and I very rarely go to msn.com anyway. That's really
    interesting. A while back, MSDN was doing some browser sniffing so Opera
    was getting left out. Now, I guess they're attacking Firefox. Why
    can't we all just get along?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, May 25, 2005
  9. Dave Holmes

    Dave Holmes Guest

    The app in question is on a secure intranet, so we already control
    every aspect of the client system. It would just be easier to
    accomplish if a browser could be made "hijack proof".

    Thanks for the ethics lecture, anyway.
    Dave Holmes, May 25, 2005
  10. Dave Holmes wrote:
    > Is there a way to keep an other application from opening a link in a
    > browser where I am running an ASP application?
    >
    > For example, I have an ASP application open in a browser. If I click
    > on a link in an email message, Outlook "hijacks" the open browser and
    > opens opens the link in it. Is there a way to prevent this? To somehow
    > identifiy that browser window as "off limits" to another app?

    One thing that comes to mind:
    http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/diner/beforeunload/

    Use with care.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, May 25, 2005
  11. Dave Holmes

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    I guess they're trying to prevent people from using tabbed browsing, which
    their old-dog browser doesn't have.

    I rarely use msn.com any more because of that.

    Probably doesn't matter to them though since since I've AdBlocked (another
    feature IE doesn't have) most of their revenue sources, which I wouldn't
    click on anyway.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, May 25, 2005
  12. Dave Holmes

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : >>Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless
    : >>trash that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to
    : >>respect the client system and do everything in our power to preserve
    : >>its integrity.
    : >
    : > You mean like the way msn.com doesn't respect the client if it happens
    : > to be FireFox? For starters; Right-click most links at msn.com in
    : > FireFox.
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Holy Right Mouse Button Batman! I never knew that, but then, I use
    : Opera, and I very rarely go to msn.com anyway. That's really
    : interesting. A while back, MSDN was doing some browser sniffing so Opera
    : was getting left out. Now, I guess they're attacking Firefox. Why
    : can't we all just get along?

    I don't know if this is the correct browser but I though Opera could lie and
    could be disguised as being IE or any other browser?!

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, May 26, 2005
  13. Dave Holmes

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere>
    writing in news::

    > "Adrienne" wrote in message
    >: Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bob Lehmann"
    >: <> writing in
    >: news:#:
    >:
    >: >>Remember that as *ethical* developers (as opposed to the worthless
    >: >>trash that develops malware for whatever reasons) we have a duty to
    >: >>respect the client system and do everything in our power to preserve
    >: >>its integrity.
    >: >
    >: > You mean like the way msn.com doesn't respect the client if it
    >: > happens to be FireFox? For starters; Right-click most links at
    >: > msn.com in FireFox.
    >: >
    >: >
    >:
    >: Holy Right Mouse Button Batman! I never knew that, but then, I use
    >: Opera, and I very rarely go to msn.com anyway. That's really
    >: interesting. A while back, MSDN was doing some browser sniffing so
    >: Opera was getting left out. Now, I guess they're attacking Firefox.
    >: Why can't we all just get along?
    >
    > I don't know if this is the correct browser but I though Opera could
    > lie and could be disguised as being IE or any other browser?!

    Opera can lie, but it still says Opera in the UA string, like:
    "Hi, I'm Jennifer Garner disguised as Mother Theresa." And who is Michael
    Vaughn really?

    Roland Hall, May 26, 2005