Restricting Application to Public (Making an "intranet")

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by wrytat, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. wrytat

    wrytat Guest

    Hi! I'm very new to ASP.NET and really need some good advice from experts
    here.

    I'm creating a web application for my company now. This application has 2
    parts. 1 part for the customers to access. The 2nd part is for our staff to
    access only. My director hopes to make the 2nd part to be something like an
    intranet, such that only our company's computers (maybe only 1 or 2 in the
    company) can login to this part of the application.

    1. My company's intending to put the application on shared server with a web
    host. Windows Authentication is NOT allowed.

    2. My company doesn't have a static IP address.

    3. My manager suggested using Network Card number (which I don't really
    quite understand. Is there a way to get the Network Card number that's on a
    client PC?).

    How??

    Some ISP told us that they can provide a firewall management feature such
    that it will restrict access to the website from anyone that is not coming
    from my company's network. This requires Static IP.

    Another told me that IIS Manager has the security feature that restrict
    access based on IP address. This requires Static IP again.

    Is it possible to implement the 2nd part (the part that is to be accessed by
    my company's PC) as a windows application instead? Then we only put the
    windows application on one computer. So, 1st part (for the public) will be a
    web application, 2nd part (for my company) is a windows application, both
    accessing the same database server from an ISP. Will the ISP allow the
    windows application to access its database server? I've no experience in
    making a windows application at all, is it the same as making a web
    application? Please advise.

    Do my company really have to get a Static IP? Any comments or other
    suggestions please? Thank you.
    wrytat, Apr 1, 2005

  2. wrytat

    wrytat Guest

    Sorry

    Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I thought the first time was
    unsuccessful. How to delete it? I'm really sorry.
    wrytat, Apr 1, 2005