    identify his IP? Am I right to say that a dynamic IP can't do the job?
    How do I know the IP address, so that I can provide to my web host then they
    can configure the IIS settings to restrict this IP?
    wrytat, Apr 13, 2005

  2. wrytat

    Joseph MCAD Guest

    April 12, 2005

    You can do it in code by using the Request.UserHostAddress. You can then
    either specify your IP address in code or in a configuration file. If you
    are on an intranet, then just ask your Network Administrator for your
    internal IP Address. If you are the Network Admin, then try finding your IP
    address listed under the IP addresses listed in your router or network
    switch that you go through. In my router it says the IP address with the
    computer name so that I can identify it. You can also right click on your
    intranet connection in the Network Connections section of your control
    panel, and then click properties. Then click the Status tab and it should
    list it there, but you might have to click Details. I can do this for mine,
    and I hope this will help you and have a great day!

    Joseph MCAD

    Joseph MCAD, Apr 13, 2005

  3. wrytat

    wrytat Guest

    Thank you.

    Our computers that can access the Internet is connected in a Local Area
    Network, and then this network I think is connected to the Internet. So, do I
    provide my web hosting company the IP address of the machine on the LAN or
    other IP address so that they can help us restrict access to the website by
    IP using IIS?

    And does my company need to invest on a static IP address? Our company is
    currently using a dynamic one. Does that mean it will change all the time and
    IIS won't be able to do the task?

    Our local telecommuncations company does not sell only 1 static IP. We have
    to buy a bundle of 2 or 6 or 14 or 30 and so on. What's the use of getting so
    many IP? Isn't 1 enough? And how would I know which is used for the Internet
    connection?

    I'm sorry~ I'm really ignorant of all these things.

    wrytat, Apr 13, 2005
  4. wrytat

    Joseph MCAD Guest

    April 13, 2005

    I looked into hosting my own web site on my server that I have, but I too
    needed a static IP and haven't bought one yet. The reason that you must buy
    them in packs is because you need one for the router, dns, something,
    something, maybe another something, and then finally your web server. So out
    of the 6, you only get 1 that is "usable" for your server. After you go
    above six then you get all of them usable, except the first five or so. I
    would give IIS your Lan address and be sure to put "permit only" in IIS.
    This is assuming that the web server is on the same LAN. Then just have your
    Network Admin set a "static" LAN IP address for your computer that will be
    accessing the web site. This will allow your computer's IP address to not
    change and therefore can be set in stone in IIS. Just right click on your
    Network Connection again (like in the last post) and the click properties.
    You should then select TCP/IP in the listbox and the click properties. There
    you can set any IP address that you want within the range your router can
    handle. Just put the router and DNS as the same IP address unless you have
    it otherwise. The subnet mask is generally provided for you. Your web server
    doesn't need a static IP address to do what you want. :) Hope this helps!

    Joseph MCAD

    Joseph MCAD, Apr 13, 2005
  5. wrytat

    wrytat Guest

    Actually, our website is hosted with a web hosting company under a hosting
    package. So we don't have a web server and our LAN therefore is not connected
    to their web server. In that case, how many static IP do I need to invest on,
    so that I can tell that web hosting company that I want to permit this IP
    address only? And in this case, may I assume that I can't give them my LAN IP
    address, but should give them the IP address on the router or what that's
    used to connect to the Internet instead? But how to know this IP? Will my ISP
    tell me?

    I'm really very sorry.

    wrytat, Apr 14, 2005