    clipboard, and windows IE/Opera environment does supply a local clipboard
    but cannot interact with other client side apps( _local_ clipboard). Any
    suggestions on a better way?

    Gerrit Hulleman, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Gerrit Hulleman

    Sam Guest

    "Gerrit Hulleman" <> wrote in message news:<40e5587d$0$65807$4all.nl>...
    > Because my htmleditor applet needed to be able to access the system
    > clipboard, i had to sign the applet. Using a trial version of verisign it
    > works great.
    >
    > Still, as signed applet has much rights on the client his system. Is it
    > possible to restrict these rights using policy files?
    >
    > The idea of a signed applet seems overkill. Using the clipboard requires it.
    > It seems that the MacOS system (IE/safari) does not supply a local
    > clipboard, and windows IE/Opera environment does supply a local clipboard
    > but cannot interact with other client side apps( _local_ clipboard). Any
    > suggestions on a better way?

    Yes, Java security definitely provides for the use of policy files
    which allow you to specify exactly what rights and restrictions apply
    to a class file. I believe the original specification for applet
    restrictions was all or nothing, which granted either full access or
    no access to local system resources. However, with Java 2 the security
    model allowed for a much subtler specification of priveleges granted
    to a particular class. Look under google for "java security tutorials"
    and you'll find Sun's tutorial on java security, it explains what
    you're asking about.

    Sam90
    Sam, Jul 3, 2004