Restrictions on a Signed applet

Gerrit Hulleman

Because my htmleditor applet needed to be able to access the system
clipboard, i had to sign the applet. Using a trial version of verisign it
works great.

Still, as signed applet has much rights on the client his system. Is it
possible to restrict these rights using policy files?

The idea of a signed applet seems overkill. Using the clipboard requires it.
It seems that the MacOS system (IE/safari) does not supply a local
clipboard, and windows IE/Opera environment does supply a local clipboard
but cannot interact with other client side apps( _local_ clipboard). Any
suggestions on a better way?

Yes, Java security definitely provides for the use of policy files
which allow you to specify exactly what rights and restrictions apply
to a class file. I believe the original specification for applet
restrictions was all or nothing, which granted either full access or
no access to local system resources. However, with Java 2 the security
model allowed for a much subtler specification of priveleges granted
to a particular class. Look under google for "java security tutorials"
and you'll find Sun's tutorial on java security, it explains what
you're asking about.

Sam90