resultset executeBatch performance: slow some times but not all of the time

grasp06110

Hi everybody!

I have a situation where executing a batch statement against an Oracle
database is painfully slow for one table and not another (over 30
seconds for one table and about 1 second for the other).

The table that is painfully slow is at the bottom of a relational tree.
Does this have anything to do with the behavior?

Has anyone seen this before?

Is there a way to fix it?

Anyone know of a good Oracle group?

The code I'm executing looks something like the following:

st = conn.createStatement();
for (int i = 0; i < 500; i++) {
st.addBatch(sqlString);
}
System.out.println("executing batch: ");
long start = Time.ms();
st.executeBatch();
long end = Time.ms();
long delta = (end - start);
System.out.println("operation took " + delta + " seconds");

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John