    missing part of a long file

    --
    Mark R. Diamond
    Anonymous, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Anonymous

    Guest

    , Jul 17, 2005

  3. Anonymous wrote:
    > Please could someone point me to what protocol is used (and, I hope,
    > implemented in Perl) to resume a filedownload, or to obtain a
    > particular missing part of a long file

    Your question is confused.
    You use a protocol to communicate between two processes or programs, e.g. a
    server and a client. There are many, many different protocols, many are
    supported by Perl. If you tell us which protocol you are using, then we may
    be able to tell you if there is a Perl module supporting that particular
    protocol. Or even better just search CPAN for yourself.
    Now, if a particular protocol supports a "resume" command is a totally
    different question and depends on the particular protocol. Many do not.
    Please see the definition of your protocol.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Anonymous

    Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > Anonymous wrote:
    >>Please could someone point me to what protocol is used (and, I hope,
    >>implemented in Perl) to resume a filedownload, or to obtain a particular
    >>missing part of a long file

    > Is this a stealth CGI question? HTTP/1.1 allows one to
    > make range requests. Viz.,
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.5
    > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.27
    > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.35

    And if it is a stealth FTP question, the equivalent of

    linux% man ftp
    reget remote-file [local-file]
    Reget acts like get, except that if local-file exists and is
    smaller than remote-file, local-file is presumed to be a par-
    tially transferred copy of remote-file and the transfer is
    continued from the apparent point of failure. This command
    is useful when transferring very large files over networks
    that are prone to dropping connections.

    in perl is

    linux% perldoc Net::FTP
    get ( REMOTE_FILE [, LOCAL_FILE [, WHERE]] )
    Get "REMOTE_FILE" from the server and store locally. "LOCAL_FILE"
    may be a filename or a filehandle. If not specified, the file will
    be stored in the current directory with the same leafname as the
    remote file.
    If "WHERE" is given then the first "WHERE" bytes of the file will
    not be transfered, and the remaining bytes will be appended to the
    local file if it already exists.

    So, in order to determine what the client needs to do, first you
    need to determine what type of server you are downloading from.
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Re: Resuming a download (or partial download) Thanks

    Thanks to all. The information about the confused nature of my question was
    also helpful because it clarified a distinction of which I was unaware

    --
    Mark R. Diamond
    Anonymous, Jul 18, 2005