[Resurrected thread] Alf P. Steinbach's pointer tutorial

Alf P. Steinbach

* Bob R, on Aug 16 2007:
arnuld said:
there is a tutorial written by Alf P. Steinbach titled something like
"Pointers in C++". i even Googled for that but was not able to find it.
can anyone tell me where i can find it. IIRC, it was in pdf format and on
1st page there was a small dog pointing his finger to somewhere (to show
the conecept of pointers)

This is the last place I knew it to be:

Alf P. Steinbach's "Pointers" document:
http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/special/pointers/ch_01.pdf

[ Alf, please let us know if it's been moved.]

The location above is on free hosting that will be terminated 1. May 2009.

The same document is now available at

<url: http://alfps.izfree.com/tutorials/pointers/>

By the way, I haven't found any Google search that will turn up that page. The
closest I get is pages that refer to the old location, mostly this old thread
archived everywhere, but also some similar threads, plus a ref from Wikipedia.
This is surprising to me since Mr. GoogleBot is a frequent visitor.

Cheers,

- Alf

PS: Dang, I clicked on the wrong group and posted this to
[comp.lang.c++.moderated], making me guilty of the sin of multi-posting. But OK,
it doesn't matter. At least *this* is now in the right group! :)

Victor Bazarov

Alf said:
[..]
By the way, I haven't found any Google search that will turn up that
page. The
closest I get is pages that refer to the old location, mostly this old
thread
archived everywhere, but also some similar threads, plus a ref from
Wikipedia.
This is surprising to me since Mr. GoogleBot is a frequent visitor.

Have you paid him? Or do you expect your stuff would interest him? :)

Alf P. Steinbach

* Victor Bazarov:
Alf said:
[..]
By the way, I haven't found any Google search that will turn up that
page. The
closest I get is pages that refer to the old location, mostly this old
thread
archived everywhere, but also some similar threads, plus a ref from
Wikipedia.
This is surprising to me since Mr. GoogleBot is a frequent visitor.

Have you paid him?

No. Does anybody?

Or do you expect your stuff would interest him? :)

Yup. :)

Cheers,

- Alf

Victor Bazarov

Alf said:
* Victor Bazarov:
Alf said:
[..]
By the way, I haven't found any Google search that will turn up that
page. The
closest I get is pages that refer to the old location, mostly this
old thread
archived everywhere, but also some similar threads, plus a ref from
Wikipedia.
This is surprising to me since Mr. GoogleBot is a frequent visitor.

Have you paid him?

No. Does anybody?

I think some do. I don't, since I don't have anything that I need to be
searchable, so I don't care if the stuff I published is found. One
always pays in some form or another, right? :)

Alf P. Steinbach

* Sherm Pendley:
Why? Have they disabled .htaccess? If not, all you need to do is create a
file named .htaccess, with an Apache redirect directive in it:

RedirectPermanent ch_01.pdf http://alfps.izfree.com/tutorials/pointers/ch_01.pdf

Store that in the old directory where ch_01.pdf lives, and you're golden.
But, you need to do it *now*, while the old site is still alive and able to
send the redirect response.

Thank you very much. It's been years since I did anything with .htaccess, and I
didn't think of that. But, done. :)

I also renamed the file there to [ch_01.pdfx], to be sure I didn't still get
that file.

And it *seems* to work, I can download [ch_01.pdf] from the old location in
spite of having changed the file name, I did that three times. But the log at
izfree (new location) doesn't show any access. So I have some fear that I'm
getting the file from some cache or something, or else that the log at izfree is
very very spotty -- my old theory for that kind of stuff was el-cheapo server
harddisk with holes on the periphery, where the centrifugal force causes data to
migrate outwards and down into the the holes, dunno, is that realistic?

Time will show what's going on & whether it really works, I guess.

If this is paid hosting,

No, it's totally free.

It was once superb service, PHP, and even remote shell access, and no ads, since
early/middle 1990's. And only for Norwegians. :) But then they started messing
up pages with banner ads (espwcially those doing XHTML and pages for mobile
phones were hard hit, nothing validated anymore, and much stopped working), and
now, as of 1st of May they're discontinuing the service completely.

Goodbye, start.no, RIP.

Cheers, & thanks again,

- Alf

gw7rib

The same document is now available at

It doesn't seem to be working for me (either at work or at home). It
gives the following message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd...

Is there more to it than simply clicking on the link you have provided?

Michael Mol

It doesn't seem to be working for me (either at work or at home). It
gives the following message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd...

Is there more to it than simply clicking on the link you have provided?

Works for me. W3C's validator gives it a pass, too. I think your
browser is broken.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
It doesn't seem to be working for me (either at work or at home). It
gives the following message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd...

Is there more to it than simply clicking on the link you have provided?

Thank you for this feedback.

It seems that your browser has problems with W3C's XTHML 1.1 DTD, or vice versa,
that that DTD is not quite correct but works with nearly all browsers, but not
with yours. One reason for that could be that browsers generally do not actually
check "standard" DTDs. If your browser does not know about the XHTML 1.1 DTD,
and furthermore does not recognize that a reference to a DTD residing at
www.w3.org is a (internet meaning) standard one, then it could be trying to
actually access the DTD, and thus expose some bug in that DTD.

Which browser/version are you using?

Cheers,

- Alf (should perhaps not use "avant garde" XHTML 1.1, but the nice thing about
it is that its current draft supports "target=", which XHTML 1.0 doesn't!)

steephen

--
Due to hosting requirements I need visits to <url:http://alfps.izfree.com/>.
to it is even better! Thanks in advance!- Hide quoted text -

I also got error
Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd...

I am using IE 6.

gw7rib

* (e-mail address removed):

Which browser/version are you using?

IE6 at both, it seems. I didn't note the exact number at work, but
here at home the version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233SI.

Hope that helps.
Paul.

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
IE6 at both, it seems. I didn't note the exact number at work, but
here at home the version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233SI.

Hope that helps.
Paul.

Thanks. I now serve a specially adapted page for IE 6 (and earlier versions of
that special case browser), with an admonition to upgrade the browser, and links
to 4 better browsers... :) Better browser include Lynx, for those with very old
computers: at least Lynx lets you look at pages, and it's fast.

The IE 6 page version is not perfect.

It's actually very bad, according to a web service that generated a screenshot
as viewed from IE 6, because it's just the XHTML 1.1 served as HTML 4.01.

But I don't have IE 6.

So, that's it.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf (C++, not HTML!)