Retain post data after login redirect

Alfred Salton

I have a dynamic form that is managed entirely on the browser side
(that is fields are added and removed without a postback). The page the
form is on requires a login.

When the user submits the form, the session login may have been lost
due to a timeout - can anyone suggest a mechanism for retaining the
form data and automatically posting after redirection from the login
page? Storing the data in a cookie isn't practical (too many fields, to
much data).

John Toop

Hello Alfred, Is using Windows forms an option? I think your best bet would
be to change the web.config so the session wasn't expired so quickly. Then
you would avoid the issue in the first place.

I think the act of submitting the form and having the .NET framework reject
your POST will inherently lose the data. I don't know of any way of posting
a form to two different "actions" (destinations).

If your thing is all client side, what about having the client side code
refresh the session periodically by requesting some trivial item - I really
know nothing about client side programming - I think it shows.

What about your submit popping up a window that trys to post the data, It's
a lot of stuff to put into the window but you could try it with a trivial
example to see if it would work first.

JT

Alfred Salton

This form may actually be filled offline as an IE .hta application, or
a Firefox extension, so there might be no existing session to keep
alive.

Windows forms isn't an option - this a web application, rather than a
Windows application (read multi-platform).