    "scripts".

    thanks
    ian
    Ian, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Ian

    David Dunson Guest

    If you restrict pages based upon the user's IP address, you'll end up with
    legitimate users that can't access your web site. This issue is addressed
    in my previous post. There are a lot of users that are behind NAT servers
    and web caching servers that mask the user's true IP address. In this case,
    you can litterally have thousands of users reporting the same IP address.

    You are better off creating a challenge/response shcema to prevent scripts
    from downloading your site. The most popular one that I have seen is a
    server generated image that displays a series of letters and numbers (like a
    password) that the user must type in to gain access to your site. I'm sure
    that a similar text based schema can be created to serve the same purpose,
    but I haven't seen one in use.

    "Ian" <no@spam> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > is there a simple way to restrict the number of times a given user (IP)

    can

    David Dunson, Aug 10, 2003