retrieve actual column widths for a table (or how to prevent columns from resizing)?

jd

I am displaying a table and using javascript to provide an
incremental search capability that allows certain rows to be
dynamically hidden. The original table specifies no column
widths, so I'm relying on the table layout manager to set up the
initial columns nicely (which it does). However, when I start
hiding rows, the columns automatically change size and this
doesn't look nice.

I'd like to be able to grab the actual column widths after the
page is first displayed and then use those values to force the
columns to stay the same size. Is there a way to do this?

(Or is there a better way to solve this problem?)

Thanks...

-- jeff

RobG

jd said:
I am displaying a table and using javascript to provide an
incremental search capability that allows certain rows to be
dynamically hidden. The original table specifies no column
widths, so I'm relying on the table layout manager to set up the
initial columns nicely (which it does). However, when I start
hiding rows, the columns automatically change size and this
doesn't look nice.

I'd like to be able to grab the actual column widths after the
page is first displayed and then use those values to force the
columns to stay the same size. Is there a way to do this?

(Or is there a better way to solve this problem?)

Another kludge is to set the row height to zero and leave their
visibility/display alone.

Ask in a HTML forum for the best way to do it, then use script to
apply whatever they suggest.

Try: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

jdigital

The folks in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html seem
to be having a hard time with this. If anyone else knows
how to dynamically fix the column widths on a table after
the table has first been displayed (so that dynamically
removing rows preserves the original column sizes),
please let me know.

Thanks...

-- jeff