retrieve actual column widths for a table (or how to prevent columns from resizing)?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by jd, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. jd

    jd Guest

    I am displaying a table and using javascript to provide an
    incremental search capability that allows certain rows to be
    dynamically hidden. The original table specifies no column
    widths, so I'm relying on the table layout manager to set up the
    initial columns nicely (which it does). However, when I start
    hiding rows, the columns automatically change size and this
    doesn't look nice.

    I'd like to be able to grab the actual column widths after the
    page is first displayed and then use those values to force the
    columns to stay the same size. Is there a way to do this?

    (Or is there a better way to solve this problem?)

    Thanks...

    -- jeff

    jd, Dec 12, 2005

  2. jd

    RobG Guest

    Re: retrieve actual column widths for a table (or how to preventcolumns from resizing)?

    jd wrote:
    > I am displaying a table and using javascript to provide an
    > incremental search capability that allows certain rows to be
    > dynamically hidden. The original table specifies no column
    > widths, so I'm relying on the table layout manager to set up the
    > initial columns nicely (which it does). However, when I start
    > hiding rows, the columns automatically change size and this
    > doesn't look nice.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to grab the actual column widths after the
    > page is first displayed and then use those values to force the
    > columns to stay the same size. Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > (Or is there a better way to solve this problem?)

    Another kludge is to set the row height to zero and leave their
    visibility/display alone.

    Ask in a HTML forum for the best way to do it, then use script to
    apply whatever they suggest.

    Try: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Dec 13, 2005

  3. jd

    jdigital Guest

    The folks in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html seem
    to be having a hard time with this. If anyone else knows
    how to dynamically fix the column widths on a table after
    the table has first been displayed (so that dynamically
    removing rows preserves the original column sizes),
    please let me know.

    Thanks...

    -- jeff

    jdigital, Dec 16, 2005