Retrieve cookie content /w local page/script?

David Winter

Apologies if the following is a dumb question; I am not a developer
and couldn't find an answer to this question by myself.

I understand that Cookies are strictly domain-specific, i.e. foo.com
can set a cookie (on the browser) on a local machine machine which
cannot be read by bar.com.

But how about a local page? I. e., could I have foo.com set a cookie
and later use a Javascript embedded in file:///Volume/MyHD/bar.htm to
display its content?

(The idea here would be to use an online service to store some text
data and being able to retrieve/use it when being offline.)

The info that I found so far indicates the answer is "No way" as the
local machine/file system is regarded as another domain, but if there
is a workaround, I'd be glad to know ...

Thanks!