Retrieve htmlbutton ID from placeholder

John Mason

Hi!

I hope someone can assist... this has been driving me crazy!!

I have dynamically added several htmlbuttons to a placeholder control
using...
AddHandler btnReports.ServerClick, AddressOf Get_Date_Range

In the Get_Date_Range sub, I am trying to find out which button was
clicked. Each button I dynamically created has a unique ID and text
value.

I need to get the ID of the clicked button to pass to another
sub-routine. The number of htmlbutton's within this placeholder does
vary depending on the current user's role (role-based forms
authentication).

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

John.

Eliyahu Goldin

John,

You don't need to retrieve the clicked button id from the placeholder. It
comes to Get_Date_Range as the first parameter in the function call. It's
always the event sender. Typecast to your button type.

Eliyahu

John Mason

Hi Eliyahu

Thank-you very much for your response.

Here is the placeholder code snipet:

Do While objDataReader.Read()
btnReports = New HtmlButton()
btnReports.Attributes.Add("class","btnClass")
btnReports.InnerHtml = objDataReader("DistrictName")
btnReports.ID = objDataReader("DistrictID")
AddHandler btnReports.ServerClick, AddressOf Get_District_Report
DistrictButtons.Controls.Add(btnReports)
Loop

Here is the Get_District_Report sub:

Sub Get_District_Report(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)
Dim b As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Dim DistrictID as String
b = CType(sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button)
DistrictID = b.ID

When I run this and click on the placeholder button, I get an error...

System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

This error refers to the line that begins with:

b = Ctype...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John.

Guest

Certainly, HtmlButton and WebControls.Button are not same classes, and do not
have sub-base class relationship. The type cast will be failed. I guess,
you’ve already figured out the problem.

Shaw

John Mason

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlButton