retrieve web page content

subhadip

Hi ,
I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
suggest any code for this ?
Thank you .
Regards
Subhadip

Evertjan.

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi ,
I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
suggest any code for this ?
Thank you .

You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your browser.

You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.

Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in notepad?

subhadip

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi ,
I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
suggest any code for this ?
Thank you .

You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your browser.

You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.

Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in notepad?

I will do that work repeatedly , say after 5 minutes interval .
extract the content , save that in a
text pad.

wisestpotato

suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ?

If you are using Opera as your web browser then this may be possible.
See here for more information:

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/

regards,

wp.

[...]

Good for you. Keeps you occupied.
However it is not really sensible.

Javascript on a browser is, I told you so,
embedded by the page programmer.

In the case of the Gmail Inbox, it seems more sensible
to make a gmail pop3
and access it, say, from a serverside coded webpage.

<http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/092201-1.shtml>

Under serverside ASP [can be done in jscript]
I nowadays would use CDO or Jmail.

subhadip

[...]

not really . there is a browser , named OPERA , who will give the
options to embed javascript in browser corresponding to that page .
see http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/ .
gmail is just a example . i want to do this for the webmails that
don't allow pop .

Evertjan.

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

--
[please do not quote signatures on usenet]
not really . there is a browser , named OPERA , who will give the
options to embed javascript in browser corresponding to that page .
see http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/ .
gmail is just a example . i want to do this for the webmails that
don't allow pop .

Not really what?

Hardono Arifanto

I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you
going to need special browser such as Opera or creating your own
extension on Firefox.

A solution using Desktop application (be it in Perl/.NET/Phyton)
should be simpler to construct.

Regards,
Hardono Arifanto

Evertjan.

Hardono Arifanto wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you

What are you responding on?
Who is "you"?

[please always quote on usenet, this is not email]

Hardono Arifanto

Hardono Arifanto wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you

What are you responding on?
Who is "you"?

[please always quote on usenet, this is not email]

My apology Evertjan :),
I'm reading the group using Google Groups, I was referring to :

Hardono Arifanto wrote on 28 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hardono Arifanto wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you

What are you responding on?
Who is "you"?

[please always quote on usenet, this is not email]

My apology Evertjan :),
I'm reading the group using Google Groups, I was referring to :
suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ?

Ah yes, I remember.
Using clientside browser javascript ecvery 5 minutes in a page of another
seems not the way to go about.