retrieving a file from a password protected site

cj2

I have a ip webcam that runs it's own web site. I want to put it's
pictures into my website with other images for people to view. The
webcam will not ftp these images anywhere. The only way to see them is
login to the camera which requires a username and password. I know
where the latest picture lives on the camera
(http://www.camera.com/image/Cam.jpg). I built a page with an image on
it giving that address as the source but when you load the page it of
course asks for the username and password. I do not want to tell folks
or otherwise disclose this password as that would allow folks to access
the camera directly. Is there a way a web page could retrieve this
image using the username and password discretely?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

I think Zsolt's answer is right. You can try the following code to set
credential for WebClient:

WebClient wc=new WebClient();
wc.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("username", "password");
//other code

Please let me know if it can work for you and feel free to ask if you have
additional questions.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Guest

I have a ip webcam that runs it's own web site.  I want to put it's
pictures into my website with other images for people to view.  The
webcam will not ftp these images anywhere.  The only way to see them is
login to the camera which requires a username and password.  I know
where the latest picture lives on the camera
(http://www.camera.com/image/Cam.jpg).  I built a page with an image on
it giving that address as the source but when you load the page it of
course asks for the username and password.  I do not want to tell folks
or otherwise disclose this password as that would allow folks to access
the camera directly.  Is there a way a web page could retrieve this
image using the username and password discretely?

Try if HTTP GET can retrieve it using http(s)://
username:password@server/resource.ext. It will not work in IE (and
Firefox too, I believe), so you need to try it from the code.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

Have you solved this issue?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

cj2

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's a hobby project and hence
not a high priority. I think I have a good starting point now and I'll
write back if I need anything else. Thanks.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

Have you tried that? If you have additional questions please feel free to
ask.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support