Retrieving BLOB Datatype from SQL Server 2000

nkunapa

Hi:
I am developing a Java application using JDBCODBC connection to a SQL
Server 2000 where I need to store text data in SQL Server 2000. I have
a field type TEXT and I am storing files ranging from 5MB to 25MB file
sizes. I have no problem saving these files into the database. The
problem starts while I am retrieving that information back into another
application. To retrieve a 5MB files, it is almost taking 45 to 60
seconds and almost 3-4 minutes for a 15MB file.

I have tried to find this out by writing a similar application in
ASP.Net using C# and I am able to retrive any file size in less than 10
seconds.

Is this a JDBC driver problem? If I can upload 5MB content into a
database in less than 5 seconds using the same JDBCODBC connection, why
am I not able to retrive back the same file in even 60 seconds. Please
help.

Thanks.

jan V

I have a field type TEXT and I am storing files ranging from 5MB to 25MB
file sizes.

These are big records, aren't they? Can you tell us what these "files"
contain, and more importantly, why they have to be stored in a database when
there's such a thing as a filing system which is designed to handle small
and large objects alike.

Raymond DeCampo

nkunapa said:
[...]

The JDBC-ODBC bridge is notoriously a poor performer. Look for a JDBC
driver specifically for MS SQL Server that suits your needs. Microsoft
provides a free, but not re-distributable, one. You can find it on MSDN.

Ray

nkunapa

The decision to store files in a database over the file system was a
design issue. Yes, I certainly agree this is a controvertial discussion
in the industry and both methods have pros and cons. The file is a
NTriple file which contains tagged text.