Retrieving dynamically added items on postback

echan8

I have a dropdown list in a datagrid which I am dynamically adding
items to with JavaScript.

When I try to access the value of the dropdown list on postback, there
is no value. The value is null. I get the feeling I'm supposed to do
something else, but I'm not sure what.

If anyone can help, I would appriciate it. Thanks.

foreach( DataGridItem di in DataGrid1.Items )
{

DropDownList ddl = (DropDownList) di.FindControl("ddlItems");
Label lblID = (Label)di.FindControl("id");

int id = Convert.ToInt32(lblID.Text);
int itemvalue = Convert.ToInt32(ddl.SelectedValue); // the
item value here is null

// Do stuff with items here.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the browser only posts back the selected value of a drop down, so the server
has no way of knowing the changes the client code made. the postback data
support in the dropdown, expects the postback value to be in its list of
value, if not, it ignores it.

you shoudl decide hoiw the client code is going to pass the additional value
to the browser. if you only need the selected value, then no more client
code is required. then in the server code, in OnInit (before postback data
is processed), you need to add the selects postback value (look in the forms
collection) as a valid value in the dropdown.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

my$.02

You might try the Request.Form[controlName] property to get the selected
value from the drop down list, though you will need to use the control name
passed to the client. Since you are embedding the drop down list in a
datagrid, it is going to be some combination of the grid id and the drop down
list id. I cannot remember off the top of my head, but you can view the HTML
source to see the pattern.