Retrieving Session in a User Control

Guest

Hello All,

I have a nested user control i.e., Control B which is loaded from Control A.
Control A is itself dynamically loaded from a web form.

Control A has a "Save" button which loads the Control B dynamically. Now in
Control B there is a "Return" button which calls the method A of Control A.
In method A, a session variable is being retrieved. My problem is whenever
the control is passed back to the Control A, error is being thrown at the
line where session is being retrieved.

Can anyone please suggest me on how to go about this problem? Is there any
other way to access session from user controls?

Thanks for your pointers!!!

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Please show us the line of code that is causing the error message and give
us the error message.

Guest

Hi Steve,

Please find the code snippets below:

Method A inside User Control A:

public void LoadDataGrid()
{
DataSet ds = new DataSet();
string[] sqlString = new string[2];

sqlString[0] = " SELECT REQ_CLIENT.ID,FIRSTNAME ||' '|| LASTNAME
NAME,COMPANY,COUNTY, "+ " DECODE(REQ_CLIENT.ID,BILLING_CONTACT,1,0)
IS_BILLING_PERSON "+ " FROM REQ_CLIENT,REQ_QUEUE WHERE "+
" REQ_QUEUE.ID = ID_REQ_QUEUE AND "+" ID_REQ_QUEUE=
"+Session["ID_REQ_QUEUE"].ToString()+" ORDER BY UPPER(LASTNAME) ";

The way I am calling the User Control A from Control B is as follows by
instantiating an object of the Control class:

secure.NewDiagnostics.Requester.Contacts1 parentControl = new
secure.NewDiagnostics.Requester.Contacts1();

if(this.Parent!=null)
{
parentControl.LoadDataGrid();
}

So when control goes back to the LoadDataGrid method in the parent control I
get the following error:

ErrorMessage:
----------------

ErrorSource: System.Web

ErrorTargetSite:
System.Web.SessionState.HttpSessionState get_Session()

ErrorTrace:
at System.Web.UI.UserControl.get_Session()
at secure.NewDiagnostics.Requester.Contacts1.LoadDataGrid() in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet.pdis.org\diagnostics\submitter\contacts1.ascx.cs:line 522

At line 522, there is an SQL query which is accessing a session variable.

Any pointers?

Thanks!!