Retrieving XML from Amazon.com Web Service... getting proxy error!

Tom Stone

Hi,

My website uses the Amazon.com webservices to retrieve XML data on books and
such. It used to work, then they changed some things, and in various ways my
code no longer worked. I was working on it a few weeks ago, and got it to
work locally, but not on my ISP. But now it doesn't even work locally
anymore... even though I am pretty sure I didn't make any further changes. ???

Anyway, here is the error message I get:
"The underlying connection was closed: The proxy name could not be resolved,
verify correct proxy configuration."

The error seems to be coming up when I invoke these two lines:
XmlDocument xmldoc = new XmlDocument();
xmldoc.Load("http://webservices.amazon.com/onca/xml?Service=AWSECommerceService&SubscriptionId=[ID
HERE]&Version=2004-11-10&AssociateTag=epistemelinks&Operation=ItemSearch&SearchIndex=Books&Keywords="
+ Server.UrlEncode(strKeyword)+ "&ResponseGroup=Medium&ItemPage=" +
strPageNum);

When I send a version of this in IE, with a value in for the two variables,
I get back the desired XML just fine. But for some reason it won't work in my
code here... I get that error about a proxy. What is supposed to happen is
the XML data is returned, I apply an XSLT object to it, transform it as
desired HTML, and display on the page. Like I said, this exact code was
working... until just recently... at least on my localhost machine.

The only thing I have done recently is upgrade to WMP 10 (surely not the
problem), and also installed the MSN Toolbar for IE (did that change some
settings?).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Tom Stone

Tom Stone

Sorry everyone... I figured it out... darn it if I don't often figure it out
a few minutes after I post to a newsgroup.

Of course I *had* done something that changed things... I had tested out a
change to my Web.config file, that created a bad Proxy setting... so that
accounts for the new error.

This is now working locally... I am still getting the other error at my ISP
though:
"The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
server."

In talking with them, it sounds like they need to allow my app to talk with
Amazon.com's servers. You'd think this would be a simple thing to do... it
used to work, but I guess they changed some security settings.

-- Tom S.