Retrive data from an client side Excel source

Guest

Hello

I'm looking for an solution about how to retrive data from an client side
located Excel document by using an ASP.Net application. I don't want to
upload the file to the server. I just want to get the data and persist it in
an database after that some business validation have been done.

Does anyone have any idea?

Mark Rae

I'm looking for an solution about how to retrive data from an client side
located Excel document by using an ASP.Net application. I don't want to
upload the file to the server. I just want to get the data and persist it
in
an database after that some business validation have been done.

Does anyone have any idea?

You're going to really struggle with this, especially if this is a public
Internet app...

If you don't want to upload the Excel spreadsheet, you're going to have to
develop an ActiveX solution to open the spreadsheet client-side and extract
the data you want.

Obviously, you'll have to really ramp down the security in order to do this,
as under normal circumstances web browsers have no interaction with the
client hardware...

Obviously, ActiveX controls will only work in IE...

Is there any particular reason you don't want to upload the spreadsheet to
the server...? If you did that, this would be a fairly simple matter...

Guest

Hello Mark

I agree with you on the security issue.

Is it possible to stream the spreadsheet to the server and from there
retrive the data I want to handle? Or do you have other solutions?

\Peter

Mark Rae