    stg_logic_vector'(...) and type conversion function
    to_std_logic_vector(...) both returning the same type.
    , Dec 10, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > I like to know the subtle differences in the qualified expression
    > stg_logic_vector'(...) and type conversion function
    > to_std_logic_vector(...) both returning the same type.

    Qualifying is used to resolve abiguities (so no conversion takes place),
    whereas type conversion really converts from one type to another.

    In my experience qualifying is needed most frequently with overloaded
    procedures. Example: write(l, string'("hello"));. Without the
    qualifying, the type of the second argument of write is ambiguous
    (string, std_logic_vector, bit_vector), because write is overloaded for
    these types.

    Paul.
    Paul Uiterlinden, Dec 10, 2004