dorayme

From: "MK said:
Many times while visiting a website we find some link which takes the user
to a different website but it is in the same browser window. While the user
is reviewing the new webpage we may wish to come back to the old website. On
Internet many sites do this by providing a link to the old website on the
top part of the browser window. To do this, they split the browser window in
two parts. An example can be seen in the attached image file. Could some one
let me know the method of doing this in HTML or JavaScript?

To show people things here you must provide a url.

I think you are referring to frames. You need to read about frames. Perhaps
you could start with http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html

This is not to say it is the best strategy for dealing with a concern that
people will leave your site. There are other ways. Here are two: all links
out to be targeted to "_blank" to force your site to stay on, the link
opening in a new window. The other, better one, is probably: let them go.
They will come back if they want to - by using their back button or some
other way.

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Many times while visiting a website we find some link which takes the user
to a different website but it is in the same browser window.

Um, yes. This is the way the web generally works.
While the user
is reviewing the new webpage we may wish to come back to the old website.

That's what the Back button in your browser is for.
On
Internet many sites do this by providing a link to the old website on the
top part of the browser window. To do this, they split the browser window in
two parts. An example can be seen in the attached image file. Could some one
let me know the method of doing this in HTML or JavaScript?

Frames, but don't. Besides all the normal reasons not to use frames,
this situation adds another: by putting another site within a frame on
your site, you are breaching their copyright, because it looks like you
are trying to pass their content off as your own.