    let me know the method of doing this in HTML or JavaScript?

    Thanks,
    MK
    MK, May 28, 2005

  2. MK

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "MK" <>
    >
    > Many times while visiting a website we find some link which takes the user
    > to a different website but it is in the same browser window. While the user
    > is reviewing the new webpage we may wish to come back to the old website. On
    > Internet many sites do this by providing a link to the old website on the
    > top part of the browser window. To do this, they split the browser window in
    > two parts. An example can be seen in the attached image file. Could some one
    > let me know the method of doing this in HTML or JavaScript?

    To show people things here you must provide a url.

    I think you are referring to frames. You need to read about frames. Perhaps
    you could start with http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html

    This is not to say it is the best strategy for dealing with a concern that
    people will leave your site. There are other ways. Here are two: all links
    out to be targeted to "_blank" to force your site to stay on, the link
    opening in a new window. The other, better one, is probably: let them go.
    They will come back if they want to - by using their back button or some
    other way.

    dorayme
    dorayme, May 28, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark, May 28, 2005
  4. MK

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, MK <> said:

    > Many times while visiting a website we find some link which takes the user
    > to a different website but it is in the same browser window.

    Um, yes. This is the way the web generally works.

    > While the user
    > is reviewing the new webpage we may wish to come back to the old website.

    That's what the Back button in your browser is for.

    > On
    > Internet many sites do this by providing a link to the old website on the
    > top part of the browser window. To do this, they split the browser window in
    > two parts. An example can be seen in the attached image file. Could some one
    > let me know the method of doing this in HTML or JavaScript?

    Frames, but don't. Besides all the normal reasons not to use frames,
    this situation adds another: by putting another site within a frame on
    your site, you are breaching their copyright, because it looks like you
    are trying to pass their content off as your own.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, May 30, 2005