Return credentials with anonymous authentication?

Shimon Facterman

Hi all,

This is my Scenario:
Have a login page in Application 1 with Anoynoumous authentication.
Using this login page I would like to receive credentials from Active
Directory (using Directoryservices I assume),
and somehow return them back to the client browser as if I made login in a
Windows authenticated application.

I need this because if login is successfull I need to redirect user to
Application 2 which is under Windows authentication security and I don't
want the login popup to appear (e.q the user to login again).

Is this possible?

Raterus

If I understand you correctly, this cannot be done. There is no way a webserver can pass Internet Explorer the credentials it now should use in place of its current credentials. It sounds like though that if you start Internet Explorer using the "Run As" command, you should be able to change the credentials to something other than the currently logged on user. To start using "Run As" you have to be running 2000+, find the iexplore.exe file, right click (you need to hold "shift" in windows 2000), select "Run As...", enter the new credentials, and browse to Application 2.

Hope this helps,
--Michael

Shimon Facterman

Maybe my definition was wrong.
what I really need as the ability to get authenticated to active directory
through custom login page in an anonymous authentication site as if
I was now authenticating in an windows authentication site (with the gray
username/password popup window).
This way if i will ne next navigation to real windows authentication site I
will no longer be needing to get authenticated again.

Hope that is clearer now.

If I understand you correctly, this cannot be done. There is no way a
webserver can pass Internet Explorer the credentials it now should use in
place of its current credentials. It sounds like though that if you start
Internet Explorer using the "Run As" command, you should be able to change
the credentials to something other than the currently logged on user. To
start using "Run As" you have to be running 2000+, find the iexplore.exe
file, right click (you need to hold "shift" in windows 2000), select "Run
As...", enter the new credentials, and browse to Application 2.

Hope this helps,
--Michael

Raterus

I'm sorry, but what you wrote only confused me more, can you try to explain it again with different terms?

shimon f

When you navigate to a site that is uses windows authentication I am
challenged with username/password/domain.
If I successfully login and than redirected to another site in the same
domain I will no longer be needing to get authenticated.

In my case I am browsing in a site that has anonymous access + maybe also
windows authentication.
I need to implement login page. In this login page I will enter
username/password/domain and will get authenticated to Active directory.
My problem is that I want that my browser will also hold this
"authentication" AS IF I GOT AUTHENTICATED in a site that is protected by
windows authentication. This is because that next, when I will be redirected
to another site in the same domain I will no longer be needing to get
authenticated (no popup windows login window).

This is the best way I can explain this.

Shimon