Return HashTable

Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am having problem with a Java program that calls a Perl/CGI Script, creates a hash and returns it. A simple example looks like this:

Perl Script:

Code:
sub createHash{

%hashTable = ();

$hashTable{"first"} = 1; # inserts a new hash table entry with key="first" and value=1
$hashTable{"second"} = 2; # new entry with key="second" and value=2

return %hashTable;

}#end createHash

Java Program

Code:
public void getHash(){

		HashMap hashmap=new HashMap();
		Vector params = new Vector();

		//Create Variables
    	try {
			XmlRpcClient xmlrpc = new XmlRpcClient(SERVER_URL);

			//Set Strings
        	        String methodName = "MyProgram.createHash";

        	System.out.println(xmlrpc.execute( methodName, params));
                //The line below is commented out because it throws an error
                //hashmap=(HashMap) xmlrpc.execute( methodName, params);

    	} catch (MalformedURLException e) {
			// TODO Auto-generated catch block
			e.printStackTrace();
		} catch (XmlRpcException e) {
			// TODO Auto-generated catch block
			e.printStackTrace();
		} catch (IOException e) {
			// TODO Auto-generated catch block
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

	}//end class

The problems are this, when, I System.out.print the return hash created in Perl, is only prints out the last value. When I cast the return value to a Java Hash, it throws a string execption.

So how do I return a hash table or multiple values from a perl program?