return value from sql server insert proc

Eric Effer

Hi

I am a newbie with vb.net. I am working with vb.net 2.0 and sql server 2005.
I am trying to get the return value from my insert stored proc.Does anyone
know how to do this?

thanks

James Irvine

Eric Effer said:
Hi

I am a newbie with vb.net. I am working with vb.net 2.0 and sql server
2005.
I am trying to get the return value from my insert stored proc.Does anyone
know how to do this?

thanks

Just include an integer to receive the results of the call to the stored
proc. In C# it's like this:
int rowsInserted = cmdUpdateReminders.ExecuteNonQuery();

vb must be near identical syntax

the full C# listing:

public string InsertRemindersRecord(string p_eMailAddress, DateTime
p_requestedSendDateTime, string p_timeZone, string p_messageHeader, string
p_messageBody)
{
SqlConnection cq = new SqlConnection("xxx");
SqlCommand cmdUpdateReminders = new
SqlCommand("spInsertRemindersRecord", cq);
cmdUpdateReminders.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
cq.Open();

cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters.Add("@eMailAddress",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 99);
cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters["@eMailAddress"].Value =
p_eMailAddress;

cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters.Add("@requestedSendDateTime",
SqlDbType.DateTime);
cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters["@requestedSendDateTime"].Value =
p_requestedSendDateTime;

cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters.Add("@timeZone", SqlDbType.NVarChar,
50);
cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters["@timeZone"].Value = p_timeZone;

cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters.Add("@messageHeader",
SqlDbType.NText);
cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters["@messageHeader"].Value =
p_messageHeader;

cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters.Add("@messageBody", SqlDbType.NText);
cmdUpdateReminders.Parameters["@messageBody"].Value = p_messageBody;

// execute the stored proc:
try
{
int rowsInserted = cmdUpdateReminders.ExecuteNonQuery();
_msgBack = rowsInserted + " record inserted";
cq.Close();
return _msgBack;
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
string _full_msgBack = ex.Message;
if (_full_msgBack.Substring(0, 24) == "Violation of PRIMARY
KEY")
_msgBack = "This record already exists";
else
_msgBack = _full_msgBack;

return _msgBack;