Returning a reference to a local variable

pauldepstein

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

double & GetWeeklyHours()
{
double h = 46.50;
double &hours = h;
return hours;
int main()
{
double hours = GetWeeklyHours();

cout << "Weekly Hours: " << hours << endl;

return 0;
}

According to a (hopefully reliable) website, the above is correct
code.

Why is the above _not_ an example of the sin of "returning a reference
to a local variable"? What is the difference between the return-
reference-to-local problem and the above code?

Thanks,

Paul Epstein

Salt_Peter

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

double & GetWeeklyHours()
{
double h = 46.50;
double &hours = h;
return hours;}

int main()
{
double hours = GetWeeklyHours();

cout << "Weekly Hours: " << hours << endl;

return 0;

}

According to a (hopefully reliable) website, the above is correct
code.

Why is the above _not_ an example of the sin of "returning a reference
to a local variable"? What is the difference between the return-
reference-to-local problem and the above code?

It is an example of undefined behaviour. A compiler is not required to
generate a diagnostic either.
Is it accepteable? Not in a long shot.
Here, try the following and pay attention to the output and sequence
of events.

#include <iostream>

class Hours
{
double m_d;
public:
Hours() : m_d(0.0) { std::cout << "Hours()\n"; }
Hours(double d) : m_d(d) { std::cout << "Hours(double)\n"; }
~Hours() { std::cout << "~Hours()\n"; }
Hours(const Hours& copy)
{
std::cout << "Hours(const Hours& copy)\n";
m_d = copy.m_d;
}
double get() const { return m_d; }
};

Hours& GetWeeklyHours()
{
Hours h = 46.50;
std::cout << "local initialized\n";
Hours& hours = h;
std::cout << "reference set\n";
return hours;

int main()
{
Hours hours = GetWeeklyHours(); // is a copy (1)

std::cout << "Weekly Hours: " << hours.get() << std::endl;
}

/*
Hours(double)
local initialized
reference set
~Hours() // local destroyed here
Hours(const Hours& copy) // is a copy (1) of a reference
Weekly Hours: 6.95329e-310
~Hours()
*/

The basic rule of thumb is: if a local invokes a default or
parametized ctor, not a copy, it only lives in that scope.
It doesn't matter whether you use a reference, a 'reference to const'
or a 'pointer to const', the residual garbage left over from the
destruction of the local variable can't be guarenteed. Anything can
happen.

this is fine, btw:
Hours GetWeeklyHours()
{
return Hours(46.5);
}

but this is not:
Hours const& GetWeeklyHours()
{
return Hours(46.5);

pauldepstein

[...]

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------­--
int main()
{
[...]

Thanks, Peter. You seem to have put a lot of time and effort towards
helping me and I appreciate that. However, I'm still a bit confused.
I understand why your example code is bugged. The mystery (to me) is
why the code I posted originally _does not_ appear to suffer from the
reference-to-local bug. It works on my compiler, and was copied from
what seemed like a decent website. Are you saying that my original
code suffers from the same bug but that sometimes the local is
destroyed at a late enough time so that the original code still gives
correct results? My question is: Why does the original code give
reliable results even though it appears to return a reference to a
local?

Paul Epstein

Kira Yamato

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

double & GetWeeklyHours()
{
double h = 46.50;
double &hours = h;
return hours;
int main()
{
double hours = GetWeeklyHours();

cout << "Weekly Hours: " << hours << endl;

return 0;
}

According to a (hopefully reliable) website, the above is correct
code.

No. As far as I know, the standard makes no guarantee a behavior for
this code. This is no correct code.

BTW, please give the link to that website.

pauldepstein

--

-kira- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Kira and Peter

The link is http://www.functionx.com/cpp/examples/returnreference.htm
The reason I was reluctant to include the link at the beginning is
that I didn't want to be seen as unfairly accusing the people who
designed the website.

Paul Epstein

Salt_Peter

Thanks, Peter. You seem to have put a lot of time and effort towards
helping me and I appreciate that. However, I'm still a bit confused.
I understand why your example code is bugged. The mystery (to me) is
why the code I posted originally _does not_ appear to suffer from the
reference-to-local bug. It works on my compiler, and was copied from
what seemed like a decent website. Are you saying that my original
code suffers from the same bug but that sometimes the local is
destroyed at a late enough time so that the original code still gives
correct results? My question is: Why does the original code give
reliable results even though it appears to return a reference to a
local?

Paul Epstein

First off - you may very well find others to have a different point of
view than mine.
You might even find a compiler with some scheme that makes the above
work with primitives (stored in a register? who knows - i really don't
care).

The fact remains, once the scope ends:
a) the local variable is no more
b) that area of memory is therefore left unprotected (its writeable)

So if you have a busy program (multi-threaded, etc)... its only a
question of time.
Debugging an issue that only happens intermittently is near
impossible. Testing for UB is easy comparatively.

A completely different Issue...
The standard specifically says you can't bind a 'reference to non-
const' to a temporary. Many beleive this means that its ok to *return*
a local through a reference to const. Well, not quite. The standard,
as i understand it, says this:

void DisplayHours(const double& ref) // must be a ref to const
{
std::cout << ref << std::endl;
}

int main()
{
DisplayHours(double(99));
}

The above works because double(99), a temporary, has a lifetime that
lasts until the function ceases to exist.
That, by the way, is the better way to write your GetWeeklyHours
function, pass the variable by reference_to_const which safely
modifies the original. At least thats guarenteed 100% of the time.

Hopefully, a little light was thrown on this and if not, someone else
can give it a go.

Dreamlax

Thanks, Peter. You seem to have put a lot of time and effort towards
helping me and I appreciate that. However, I'm still a bit confused.
I understand why your example code is bugged. The mystery (to me) is
why the code I posted originally _does not_ appear to suffer from the
reference-to-local bug. It works on my compiler, and was copied from
what seemed like a decent website.

Paul Epstein

I think on most systems, when a program is compiled, its size reflects
the number of local variables declared in the code. For example, if a
long integer required 4 bytes, then the program's compiled code will
increase by 4 bytes for every long integer (and then rounded to the
nearest 16k block or whatever). This is because the entire program is
loaded into memory at once. After it is loaded into memory, local (and
global) variables now become addressable places in memory. If the
compiler is very smart, and knows that the code is not multithreaded,
it may use the same 4 bytes as the local integer variable in two
separate functions just to save on filesize. Therefore, the reference
returned by one function may point to a place in memory that can be
changed through another local variable in another function. The
contents of the memory addressed by the return value of that function
cannot be guaranteed to be constant throughout the remainder of the
execution of the program.

Erik Wikström

[...]

No. Local variables are (usually, I sure there exists exceptions) placed
on the stack, which is allocated on runtime. When a function is called a
new stackframe, which is big enough to contain all local variables of
the function, is pushed onto the stack. When the function exits the
frame is poped of the stack. But the memory used is left as it was, this
means that as long as no new frame is pushed onto the stack and over-
writes the memory the values will still be readable. This does not mean
that one should try to be smart and try to "utilise" this, it will only
lead to ruin.

Daniel T.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

double & GetWeeklyHours()
{
double h = 46.50;
double &hours = h;
return hours;
int main()
{
double hours = GetWeeklyHours();

cout << "Weekly Hours: " << hours << endl;

return 0;
}

According to a (hopefully reliable) website, the above is correct
code.

Why is the above _not_ an example of the sin of "returning a reference
to a local variable"? What is the difference between the return-
reference-to-local problem and the above code?

As I understand it, the example code works because RVO constructs the
local variable at the site of main's 'hours' variable.

Without RVO, the above code would not work, and RVO cannot be guaranteed.

Ron Natalie

Daniel said:
As I understand it, the example code works because RVO constructs the
local variable at the site of main's 'hours' variable.

Without RVO, the above code would not work, and RVO cannot be guaranteed.

Well more likely, the RVO just causes the copy to the main:hours
variable before the GetWeeklyHours:h is obliterated.

One of those insidious forms of undefined behavior is things appear to
work normally, TODAY.