Reusing code?

Paul Furman

David said:
I understand that handling file uploads requires a third-party
component in ASP. PHP makes handing file uploads trivial.

For sending e-mail, just use PHP's mail() function. That literally
could not be easier!

ASP is okay, but PHP is better ;-)

And the main determining factor in that ASP is tied to Microsoft so you
get stuck in their cycle of expensive upgrades, security problems,
needing a host running win OS, etc.

PS I found this page with a 2 minute introduction to Perl and it sounds
exactly like PHP so far:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/10/begperl1.html

The only difference I can see is that Perl was designed as an all
purpose scripting language and adapted well to web use whereas PHP was
designed specifically for web programming. PHP source code is open
source but managed by a single team which is kind of unusual for an open
source product. That gives it a certain cohesiveness and ease of
upgrading installing. I think perl is one of those things where you have
to hunt down all sorts of add-ins to configure & run.

I set up PHP and Apache server on my win2k machine at home so I could
test scripts without uploading, it was a bit of a struggle for a newbie
but for ASP I believe I would have needed to run IIS and purchased
something like a $2,000.00 developer's package to run locally.

Toby A Inkster

Paul said:
I think perl is one of those things where you have to hunt down all
sorts of add-ins to configure & run.

In theory, yes. But in practice we have CPAN, the comprehensive Perl
archive network. Simply download, install and configure the CPAN module
for Perl and then you can easily install any other Perl modules you need
with one simple command:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Module::Name;'

Jeffrey Silverman

for Perl and then you can easily install any other Perl modules you need
with one simple command:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Module::Name;'

Unless the thing doesn't want to compile. Which has been known to happen.

But ususally, "-MCPANN xxx" works great.

David Mackenzie

I set up PHP and Apache server on my win2k machine at home so I could
test scripts without uploading, it was a bit of a struggle for a newbie
but for ASP I believe I would have needed to run IIS and purchased
something like a $2,000.00 developer's package to run locally.

There have been ASP clones written for use with Apache but why bother?
Just use perl, PHP, JSP or some other cross-platform language.

I've seen some posts on PHP newsgroups about people reluctant to set
up Apache on their machine but still want to test their scripts
locally. Never understood why.

And, for some reason, MS doesn't allow you to run either IIS or PWS on
Windows XP Home!??!?!

Brett said:
I have a web page that has html code that I would like to add to every
page dynamically, instead of copying and pasting it to every page. That
way, when it needs to be changed, it will be a lot less work.

What is the best way to do this?

Zis thread completely died?
Took me too long to get the public version
of my free preprocessor suite going.

Anyway, try:
http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/
....might help