Reusing tests in cppUnit

Belebele

Suppose I want to test several implementations of the same protocol
(interface with clearly defined semantics) using cppUnit. How to reuse
the test that checks the semantics?

Take, for example, the simple SetterGetter interface and the even
simpler implementations Impl1 and Impl2.

class SetterGetter {

SetterGetter& operator=(SetterGetter const& ); // Not Implemented

public:
virtual ~SetterGetter() {}

virtual void set(int ) = 0;

virtual int get() const = 0;
};

class Impl1: public SetterGetter {

/* This class clearly fails to comply with
the intended semantics, thus the protocol
test should fail when passed an object of
this class */

public:
virtual void set(int ) {}

virtual int get() const {return 0;}
};

class Impl2: public SetterGetter {
int i_;

public:
virtual void set(int i) {i_ = i;}

virtual int get() const {return i_;}
};

I would like to write a single class that tests the semantics and that
can be reused for any implementation of the protocol. Any ideas?

I made an attempt, but it did not work. The output said that there was
a Segmentation fault. See below:

class TestSetterGetter: public CppUnit::TestCase {

CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE( TestSetterGetter );

CPPUNIT_TEST( testSetGet );

CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END();

SetterGetter *psetterGetter_;

public:
TestSetterGetter(): psetterGetter_(0) {}

void set(SetterGetter& sg) {psetterGetter_ = &sg;}

void testSetGet() {
psetterGetter_->set(0);
CPPUNIT_ASSERT_EQUAL(0, psetterGetter_->get());
}
};

class TestImpl1: public TestSetterGetter {

Impl1 impl1_;

public:
TestImpl1() {set(impl1_);}
};
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_REGISTRATION( TestImpl1 );

class TestImpl2: public TestSetterGetter {

Impl2 impl2_;

public:
TestImpl2() {set(impl2_);}
};
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_REGISTRATION( TestImpl2 );

Belebele

Never mind, I got it ...

The solution that worked for me is:
1. Create the test base class, that derives from cppUnit::TestCase, and
define the tests for the protocol in it. Two things to notice: the
termination macro for the declaration of the tests in the fixture must
be CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END_ABSTRACT() and the class should not be
registered as a fixture. See below (the auto_ptr is to avoid having to
deallocate the memory explicitly):

#include <memory>
using namespace std;

class TestSetterGetter: public CppUnit::TestCase {

CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE( TestSetterGetter );

CPPUNIT_TEST( testSetGet );

// Different termination macro for the test declarations.
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END_ABSTRACT();

auto_ptr<SetterGetter> psetterGetter_;

virtual auto_ptr<SetterGetter> makeSetterGetter() = 0;

public:
void setUp() {psetterGetter_ = makeSetterGetter();}

void tearDown() {}

protected:
void testSetGet() {
psetterGetter_->set(1);
CPPUNIT_ASSERT_EQUAL(1, psetterGetter_->get());
}
};
// No test registration here.

2. Then, for the implementations of the tests of the different
implementations (sorry for the tongue twisting), one thing to notice is
that the initialization of the test declaration requires a different
macro which includes a declaration of the base test. See below:
class TestImpl1: public TestSetterGetter {

// A different macro for the initialization of the test
declarations.
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUB_SUITE( TestImpl1, TestSetterGetter );

CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END();

auto_ptr<SetterGetter> makeSetterGetter() {
return auto_ptr<SetterGetter>(new Impl1());
}

public:

// In my example, no extra tests to add here

};
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_REGISTRATION( TestImpl1 ); // Just register your
fixture and you will be in business.

class TestImpl2: public TestSetterGetter {

CPPUNIT_TEST_SUB_SUITE( TestImpl2, TestSetterGetter );
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END();

auto_ptr<SetterGetter> makeSetterGetter() {return
auto_ptr<SetterGetter>(new Impl2());}

public:

// In my example, no extra tests to add here

};
CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_REGISTRATION( TestImpl2 );

All of this complication only because reflection is nowhere to be seen
on C++.

Belebele

A similar (but IMHO cleaner) approach is the (google-able)
'Parametrised test case'

I looked it up. I don't feel I understood it very well. It got the
impression that can be used to run the same test on a set of input
data. It was not clear to me how to apply it to the example I posted.
Also, I could not even find the ParameterizedTestCase.h file in my
cppUnit installation (1.10.2)

Could you please elaborate? Could you use the example from my previous
posts? Thanks.