Reusing XML Processing Code in non-XML Applications

Discussion in 'XML' started by Oleg Paraschenko, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I'd like to introduce an article which might be of some interest:

    Reusing XML Processing Code in non-XML Applications

    HTML: http://uucode.com/texts/genxml/genxml.html
    PDF: http://uucode.com/texts/genxml/genxml.pdf

    <abstract>

    XML can be considered as a representation of hierarchical
    data, and the XML-related standards - as methods of processing
    such data. We describe benefits of XML view on legacy data and
    its processing, and suggest a method to develop XML tools and
    make them reusable for different tree-like structures in
    different programming languages.

    Our approach is to use virtual machine technology, in
    particular, the Scheme programming language. We're taking the
    unusual step of using the Scheme syntax itself as a native
    virtual machine language. Together with the SXML format and
    Scheme implementations tuning, it gives us the XML virtual
    machine (XML VM).

    Reference implementations are ready for the Python and C
    languages. We describe a library for XSLT-like transformations
    of the Python parse trees and a special version of the GNU find
    utility which supports XPath queries over the file system.

    </abstract>

    The article needs some rework. Unfortunately, I don't know
    when I'll find time for it, so I publish it as is.
    Oleg Paraschenko, Jun 6, 2005