    is too complex to be done for real code.

    Thanks.

    --

    Jim Cochrane, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > I suspect this question has been asked before, and I suspect the answer
    > may be "It's not practical.", but from a couple quick searches in
    > google groups I could not find anything. (Maybe I picked the wrong
    > search words.)
    >
    > My question is Are there any tools available to effectively reverse
    > engineer existing, relatively well-constructed OO Perl code to produce
    > (or aid in producing) design artifacts/documentation, such as UML
    > diagrams/code or diagrams in other notations? (Free, FOSS, or not-free)
    >
    > It seems that this would be very valuable in some situations, but I've
    > not seen any evidence of such tools. Perhaps this is because the task
    > is too complex to be done for real code.

    There are a number out there, but the only one with which I am familiar
    is Autodia.

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Jim Cochrane

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Jim Cochrane <>:
    > I suspect this question has been asked before, and I suspect the answer
    > may be "It's not practical.", but from a couple quick searches in
    > google groups I could not find anything. (Maybe I picked the wrong
    > search words.)
    >
    > My question is Are there any tools available to effectively reverse
    > engineer existing, relatively well-constructed OO Perl code to produce
    > (or aid in producing) design artifacts/documentation, such as UML
    > diagrams/code or diagrams in other notations? (Free, FOSS, or not-free)

    A search for UML on search.cpan.org produces several results. I've not
    used any of them, so I can't comment on their usefulness.

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Jim Cochrane

    Jim Cochrane Guest

    On 2007-08-29, Mark Clements <> wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >> I suspect this question has been asked before, and I suspect the answer
    >> may be "It's not practical.", but from a couple quick searches in
    >> google groups I could not find anything. (Maybe I picked the wrong
    >> search words.)
    >>
    >> My question is Are there any tools available to effectively reverse
    >> engineer existing, relatively well-constructed OO Perl code to produce
    >> (or aid in producing) design artifacts/documentation, such as UML
    >> diagrams/code or diagrams in other notations? (Free, FOSS, or not-free)
    >>
    >> It seems that this would be very valuable in some situations, but I've
    >> not seen any evidence of such tools. Perhaps this is because the task
    >> is too complex to be done for real code.

    > There are a number out there, but the only one with which I am familiar
    > is Autodia.
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks much for the recommendation.

    I installed autodia and tried it out a bit and it looks like it will
    probably provide what I need.

    Thanks also to Ben Morrow on his suggestion to check out modules on
    cpan. I checked that out and found UML::Class::Simple, with
    umlclass.pl.

    Jim Cochrane, Sep 5, 2007