reverse engineering visual c++ 6.0 source code into UML

Discussion in 'C++' started by mary, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. mary

    mary Guest

    Hi, for my thesis at the university I'm working on a Visual c++ 6.0
    source code, to understand better it I need to extract the UML
    graphics: Class Diagram, Object Diagram, Use Case Diagram, State
    Diagram, Sequence Diagram, Collaboration Diagram, Activity Diagram.
    I've installed Visio 2003 and I'm trying to reverse engineering my
    project to get the conceptual design of it. When I start Visio, it
    exstracts and decodes correctly the informations from my source code
    (there are no error messages); it creates all the static structures
    from my VS project (I can see the Static Model in the Explorer Models
    Window), but it does not create any diagram for me.
    Is it then possible to show relations between all the static
    structures? How do I generate various UML diagrams from that? Is there
    any way than to just push a button and get a nice comprehensive set of
    UML diagrams or I have to pick and choose what classes and
    relationships to include and which to leave out? If not could you
    suggest me other ways to obtain UML diagrams or other programs about
    reverse engineering Visual c++ 6.0 source code into the UML?
    Thank you!
    mary, Nov 7, 2006

  2. mary

    Phlip Guest

    mary wrote:

    > any way than to just push a button and get a nice comprehensive set of
    > UML diagrams or I have to pick and choose what classes and
    > relationships to include and which to leave out?

    Tip: Don't UML a program, UML one feature of the program. (This tip is
    similar to a AAA Triptik, or a Google Maps Get Directions report, for you
    youngsters.)

    Put a breakpoint deep inside that feature, run to it, and examine your VC++
    callstack. It will be a Sequence Diagram (all squished up). Sketch this
    diagram on paper (and leave out boring details like std::string).

    Now take all the objects' classes in this diagram, look up their
    inheritances, and draw your class diagram. Remember that you can also put
    arrows thru this that lead to your target feature.

    The point is not to replicate your program exactly in UML, in all its
    nauseating detail. The point is to produce a map or a travel guide to the
    program, to give you a rough idea what classes and methods support which
    features.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Nov 7, 2006

  3. "mary" <> wrote in message
[...]

    Many of your questions are specifically about Visio and Microsoft tools.
    These are off-topic here, so if you want informed answers, try posting
    on an adequate Microsoft-sponsored forum (e.g. see news.microsoft.com).

    : If not could you
    : suggest me other ways to obtain UML diagrams or other programs about
    : reverse engineering Visual c++ 6.0 source code into the UML?

    Take a look at www.doxygen.org . While it is designed to take
    advantage of specially tagged comments, doxygen is also able to
    parse any C++ source tree and to generate a variety of dependency
    graphs and class-relationship diagrams. Not using UML notation
    (although it has a pseudo-UML mode), but quite useful anyway
    to analyze a legacy piece of code...

    Ivan Vecerina, Nov 7, 2006