reverse Jython

Discussion in 'Java' started by Maurice LING, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Maurice LING

    Maurice LING Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a suitable thesis topic, so I hope that I can gather
    some advice on this area that I'm thinking of.

    Jython appears as a relatively successful attempt to bridge Python to
    Java and I find that the best part is that it can convert Python codes
    into Java codes. As said in the webpage, it is a python interpreter
    written in Java. I am wondering if it is worth reversing this, that is,
    a Java interpreter implemented in Python?

    A Google search comes up with JPI and PyJava.

    Is this still a viable area to look into or it is too done?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Maurice

    Maurice LING, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Maurice LING

    Hi Maurice

    > I am wondering if it is worth reversing this, that is, a Java interpreter
    > implemented in Python?

    Why?

    Jython makes sense because you free Python usage from C compilation and
    platform issues (regarding extension modules) while still providing
    acceptable runtime performance.

    The other way round would not cure or help anything.

    If you need an interesting topic: why not write a just-in-time compiler
    for Python?

    There's already some interesting stuff in module "weave" and the pythonc
    from Jython, but having a python interpreter use (say) gcc at runtime to
    convert and probably optimize Python code to natively executable
    binaries, you could speed up Python to the max.

    Just my 2 cents,

    Mark