Reversing a marquee tag

The Devil's Advocate©

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to reverse the direction of
a marquee using javascript. Can this be done? I know it's possible to
set the attribute to make the marquee scroll up, down, left or right,
but I don't know if it's possible to do this using a javascript
command.

rf

The said:
I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
databse.

News tickers went out of fashion the day after the first personal computer
was sold.

Is it you wanting this, your boss, or more importantly, your viewer?

brucie

In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:
I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
databse.

that does not make it ok. its a pain in the arse to be forced to read
really slowly or see text screaming past at 100mph or have to wait for
it to come around again to read it. they are not user friendly.

you want to tell people stuff then put it on the page don't make them
jump through hoops.

in regards to the news i hope the news is about your site/topic/industry
and the news is *on your site*. its really dumb getting people to your
site and then encouraging them to leave to read some news on someone
elses site.

The Devil's Advocate©

News tickers went out of fashion the day after the first personal computer
was sold.

Depends on how it's being used. I do think there are relevant uses for
them. Nothing is ALWAYS innapropriate.
Is it you wanting this, your boss, or more importantly, your viewer?

Bossman wants it. We have one up right now which is flash based. But I
think the marquee would be easier to update and I wouldn't need to
load a flash file.

The Devil's Advocate©

In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:

that does not make it ok. its a pain in the arse to be forced to read
really slowly or see text screaming past at 100mph or have to wait for
it to come around again to read it. they are not user friendly.

you want to tell people stuff then put it on the page don't make them
jump through hoops.

in regards to the news i hope the news is about your site/topic/industry
and the news is *on your site*. its really dumb getting people to your
site and then encouraging them to leave to read some news on someone
elses site.

We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.

SpaceGirl

The Devil's Advocate© wrote:

Depends on how it's being used. I do think there are relevant uses for
them. Nothing is ALWAYS innapropriate.

Yeah, I'm all for that argument, but that doesn't stop some things being
*almost always* innapropriate. Look at the way the BBC News ticker
works... it's a variation on a theme and it works well in that context.
It's not quite a marque, and is a lot more attractive.
Bossman wants it. We have one up right now which is flash based. But I
think the marquee would be easier to update and I wouldn't need to
load a flash file.

This smacks of just not understanding the technology at all. Flash
movies can read text files, or XML files if you like, so it should make
sod all difference to updating. Just as easy to update a Flash movie as
it is any other element on your page if you actually structure your site
right in the first place. Seperate your design from your content.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

The Devil's Advocate©
current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
tag and I think it does everything I need

Other than to work with all browsers?

Plus, if you fiddle with it using javascript you slice off another <guess>
15% of your audience.

Lets just hope the information is not mission critical :)

Spartanicus

The Devil's Advocate© said:
We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site.

Expecting users to click a moving target is not going to work, never
mind that activating the link other than via a mouse will be impossible.

Karl Core

We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.

Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making its
site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.

-Karl

The Devil's Advocate©

Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making its
site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.

Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"

Neal

Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"

You're being a dick. That won't expedite anyone's help.

That said, if you google for "HTML marquee" you'll probably find the
answer quite well.

Karl Core

The Devil's Advocate© said:
Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"

LOOK! I found your answer!
http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

-Karl

The Devil's Advocate©

You're being a dick. That won't expedite anyone's help.

The dick here is the one that made stupid assumptions about my
coworkers based on a question about a marquee tag. Perhaps that
code-head geek ought to get off his computer more often and learn some
people skills.

Karl Core

The Devil's Advocate© said:
The dick here is the one that made stupid assumptions about my
coworkers based on a question about a marquee tag. Perhaps that
code-head geek ought to get off his computer more often and learn some
people skills.

Oh, I missed class the day that they said "People skills" involved lying to
people to avoid hurting their feelings. Somehow I got confused when they
told me that "honesty is the best policy".

If you explain to me, in detail, why my assumptive judgment was wrong
regarding your qualifications and the qualifications of the moron that told
you to make your news items scroll across the page, I will apologize.

-Karl

rf

The Devil's Advocate© wrote
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:57:00 -0400, "Karl Core"
Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
who is "qualfied" at my company to do what,

I think karl's "opinion" is pretty damn close.

If you are really qualified to author for the web you would have known that
in under 30 seconds you can gain the required information directly from the
people who invented the marquee element:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/objects/marquee.asp

(watch the wrap).

Therein, if you scroll the iframe down a bit, you will find the direction
property. This if course may be manipulated with a tiny bit of javascript,
or in this case (since it is IE only) jscript.

To discover the various values for direction you may freely click on the
direction link. If you are still in the dark then on the page you are now
looking at is a link: About Dynamic Properties, wherein you will learn all
you need to know about using jscript to change dynamic properties. There are
even a few working examples.

There, that wasn't hard now, was it, and it sure would save days of bleating
on a usenet group :)

BTW there have been studies done where it has been found that anything that
moves on a web page instinctively draws the eye to itself, at the expense of
the rest of the content.

This instinct is almost overpowering. It comes from the time when we were
all hiding in the jungle. Anything that moves *MUST* be looked at, it may
just be a tiger out for an easy breakfast. If we don't look at the tiger and
identify it as such then we will not know that very shortly we should be
running very fast.

<aside>
Two joggers, being hot and bothered, decide to undress for a cool swim in
the creek.
They spot an approaching tiger.
Jogger 1 immediately runs the other way.
Jogger 2 considers briefly and runs *toward* to tiger to pick up his shoes.
1 yells "shoes won't help you run fast enough to out-run that tiger".
2 states camly "I don't have to out-run the tiger. I only have to out-run
you"
</aside>

The Devil's Advocate©

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/objects/marquee.asp

(watch the wrap).

Therein, if you scroll the iframe down a bit, you will find the direction
property. This if course may be manipulated with a tiny bit of javascript,
or in this case (since it is IE only) jscript.

To discover the various values for direction you may freely click on the
direction link. If you are still in the dark then on the page you are now
looking at is a link: About Dynamic Properties, wherein you will learn all
you need to know about using jscript to change dynamic properties. There are
even a few working examples.

There, that wasn't hard now, was it, and it sure would save days of bleating
on a usenet group :)

Thanks for being the only person here that actually gave a useful
answer. I'll decide in the end whether the marquee tag will be of use
to me. But *I* wanted to make that judgement, not that asshole Karl
Cole(there's at least one like him in every NG).

Neal

Thanks for being the only person here that actually gave a useful
answer.

You know, **** you. I gave you precise search terms to direct you to a
site with your answer. You can go shove a bottle up your ass.