Reversing a marquee tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to reverse the direction of
    a marquee using javascript. Can this be done? I know it's possible to
    set the attribute to make the marquee scroll up, down, left or right,
    but I don't know if it's possible to do this using a javascript
    command.
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The Devil's Advocate©

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:27:09 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:
    >
    >> a marquee

    >
    >http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html


    I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
    databse.
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 11, 2004
    #3
  4. The Devil's Advocate©

    rf Guest

    The Devil's Advocate© wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:27:09 +1000, brucie <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:
    > >
    > >> a marquee

    > >
    > >http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html

    >
    > I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
    > databse.


    News tickers went out of fashion the day after the first personal computer
    was sold.

    Is it you wanting this, your boss, or more importantly, your viewer?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
    #4
  5. The Devil's Advocate©

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:

    >>http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html


    > I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
    > databse.


    that does not make it ok. its a pain in the arse to be forced to read
    really slowly or see text screaming past at 100mph or have to wait for
    it to come around again to read it. they are not user friendly.

    you want to tell people stuff then put it on the page don't make them
    jump through hoops.

    in regards to the news i hope the news is about your site/topic/industry
    and the news is *on your site*. its really dumb getting people to your
    site and then encouraging them to leave to read some news on someone
    elses site.

    --


    v o i c e s
     
    brucie, Oct 11, 2004
    #5
  6. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:24:25 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    >The Devil's Advocate© wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:27:09 +1000, brucie <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:
    >> >
    >> >> a marquee
    >> >
    >> >http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html

    >>
    >> I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
    >> databse.

    >
    >News tickers went out of fashion the day after the first personal computer
    >was sold.


    Depends on how it's being used. I do think there are relevant uses for
    them. Nothing is ALWAYS innapropriate.

    >Is it you wanting this, your boss, or more importantly, your viewer?


    Bossman wants it. We have one up right now which is flash based. But I
    think the marquee would be easier to update and I wouldn't need to
    load a flash file.
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 11, 2004
    #6
  7. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:25:03 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >In alt.html The Devil's Advocate© said:
    >
    >>>http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/tut17.html

    >
    >> I will be using it for a news ticker with content generated from a
    >> databse.

    >
    >that does not make it ok. its a pain in the arse to be forced to read
    >really slowly or see text screaming past at 100mph or have to wait for
    >it to come around again to read it. they are not user friendly.
    >
    >you want to tell people stuff then put it on the page don't make them
    >jump through hoops.
    >
    >in regards to the news i hope the news is about your site/topic/industry
    >and the news is *on your site*. its really dumb getting people to your
    >site and then encouraging them to leave to read some news on someone
    >elses site.


    We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
    current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
    tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
    trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 11, 2004
    #7
  8. The Devil's Advocate©

    SpaceGirl Guest

    The Devil's Advocate© wrote:


    > Depends on how it's being used. I do think there are relevant uses for
    > them. Nothing is ALWAYS innapropriate.


    Yeah, I'm all for that argument, but that doesn't stop some things being
    *almost always* innapropriate. Look at the way the BBC News ticker
    works... it's a variation on a theme and it works well in that context.
    It's not quite a marque, and is a lot more attractive.

    >>Is it you wanting this, your boss, or more importantly, your viewer?

    >
    >
    > Bossman wants it. We have one up right now which is flash based. But I
    > think the marquee would be easier to update and I wouldn't need to
    > load a flash file.


    This smacks of just not understanding the technology at all. Flash
    movies can read text files, or XML files if you like, so it should make
    sod all difference to updating. Just as easy to update a Flash movie as
    it is any other element on your page if you actually structure your site
    right in the first place. Seperate your design from your content.



    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
     
    SpaceGirl, Oct 11, 2004
    #8
  9. The Devil's Advocate©

    rf Guest

    The Devil's Advocate©

    > current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
    > tag and I think it does everything I need


    Other than to work with all browsers?

    Plus, if you fiddle with it using javascript you slice off another <guess>
    15% of your audience.

    Lets just hope the information is not mission critical :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
    #9
  10. The Devil's Advocate©

    Spartanicus Guest

    The Devil's Advocate© <> wrote:

    >We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    >will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site.


    Expecting users to click a moving target is not going to work, never
    mind that activating the link other than via a mouse will be impossible.

    --
    Spartanicus
     
    Spartanicus, Oct 11, 2004
    #10
  11. The Devil's Advocate©

    Karl Core Guest

    "The Devil's Advocate©" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    > will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
    > current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
    > tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
    > trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    > do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.


    Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making its
    site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.

    -Karl
     
    Karl Core, Oct 11, 2004
    #11
  12. The Devil's Advocate©

    Karl Core Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > The Devil's Advocate© <> wrote:
    >
    >>We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    >>will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site.

    >
    > Expecting users to click a moving target is not going to work, never
    > mind that activating the link other than via a mouse will be impossible.


    Some light reading for the OP - Fitt's Law
    http://www.yorku.ca/mack/phd.html

    -Karl
     
    Karl Core, Oct 11, 2004
    #12
  13. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:57:00 -0400, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"The Devil's Advocate©" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >
    >> We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    >> will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
    >> current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
    >> tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
    >> trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    >> do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.

    >
    >Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making its
    >site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.



    Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
    who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
    you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
    person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
    it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 12, 2004
    #13
  14. The Devil's Advocate©

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:41:15 GMT, The Devil's Advocate©
    <> wrote:

    > Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
    > who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
    > you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
    > person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
    > it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"


    You're being a dick. That won't expedite anyone's help.

    That said, if you google for "HTML marquee" you'll probably find the
    answer quite well.
     
    Neal, Oct 12, 2004
    #14
  15. The Devil's Advocate©

    Karl Core Guest

    "The Devil's Advocate©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:57:00 -0400, "Karl Core"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"The Devil's Advocate©" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>> We have a news site related to our company. Ideally, the news ticker
    >>> will have clickable links that go to certain stories on the site. The
    >>> current one is in flash, but I recently found out about the marquee
    >>> tag and I think it does everything I need it to other than have a
    >>> trigger that will make it reverse. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    >>> do this. Hopefully someone will know if it's possible.

    >>
    >>Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making its
    >>site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.

    >
    >
    > Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
    > who is "qualfied" at my company to do what, it's frankly irrelevant to
    > you, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. Not one
    > person has actually answered the question I asked, which is simply "is
    > it possible to reverse a marquee tag with an action?"


    LOOK! I found your answer!
    http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

    -Karl
     
    Karl Core, Oct 12, 2004
    #15
  16. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:52:53 -0400, Neal <> wrote:

    >You're being a dick. That won't expedite anyone's help.


    The dick here is the one that made stupid assumptions about my
    coworkers based on a question about a marquee tag. Perhaps that
    code-head geek ought to get off his computer more often and learn some
    people skills.
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 12, 2004
    #16
  17. The Devil's Advocate©

    Karl Core Guest

    "The Devil's Advocate©" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:52:53 -0400, Neal <> wrote:
    >
    >>You're being a dick. That won't expedite anyone's help.

    >
    > The dick here is the one that made stupid assumptions about my
    > coworkers based on a question about a marquee tag. Perhaps that
    > code-head geek ought to get off his computer more often and learn some
    > people skills.


    Oh, I missed class the day that they said "People skills" involved lying to
    people to avoid hurting their feelings. Somehow I got confused when they
    told me that "honesty is the best policy".

    If you explain to me, in detail, why my assumptive judgment was wrong
    regarding your qualifications and the qualifications of the moron that told
    you to make your news items scroll across the page, I will apologize.

    -Karl
     
    Karl Core, Oct 12, 2004
    #17
  18. The Devil's Advocate©

    rf Guest

    The Devil's Advocate© wrote
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:57:00 -0400, "Karl Core"
    > <> wrote:


    > >Sounds like your company has a completely underqualified person making

    its
    > >site, taking direction from a completely underqualified supervisor.


    > Look, I'm not interested in your PERSONAL opinion on marquee tags or
    > who is "qualfied" at my company to do what,


    I think karl's "opinion" is pretty damn close.

    If you are really qualified to author for the web you would have known that
    in under 30 seconds you can gain the required information directly from the
    people who invented the marquee element:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/objects/marquee.asp

    (watch the wrap).

    Therein, if you scroll the iframe down a bit, you will find the direction
    property. This if course may be manipulated with a tiny bit of javascript,
    or in this case (since it is IE only) jscript.

    To discover the various values for direction you may freely click on the
    direction link. If you are still in the dark then on the page you are now
    looking at is a link: About Dynamic Properties, wherein you will learn all
    you need to know about using jscript to change dynamic properties. There are
    even a few working examples.

    There, that wasn't hard now, was it, and it sure would save days of bleating
    on a usenet group :)

    BTW there have been studies done where it has been found that anything that
    moves on a web page instinctively draws the eye to itself, at the expense of
    the rest of the content.

    This instinct is almost overpowering. It comes from the time when we were
    all hiding in the jungle. Anything that moves *MUST* be looked at, it may
    just be a tiger out for an easy breakfast. If we don't look at the tiger and
    identify it as such then we will not know that very shortly we should be
    running very fast.

    <aside>
    Two joggers, being hot and bothered, decide to undress for a cool swim in
    the creek.
    They spot an approaching tiger.
    Jogger 1 immediately runs the other way.
    Jogger 2 considers briefly and runs *toward* to tiger to pick up his shoes.
    1 yells "shoes won't help you run fast enough to out-run that tiger".
    2 states camly "I don't have to out-run the tiger. I only have to out-run
    you"
    </aside>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Oct 13, 2004
    #18
  19. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:48:41 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/objects/marquee.asp
    >
    >(watch the wrap).
    >
    >Therein, if you scroll the iframe down a bit, you will find the direction
    >property. This if course may be manipulated with a tiny bit of javascript,
    >or in this case (since it is IE only) jscript.
    >
    >To discover the various values for direction you may freely click on the
    >direction link. If you are still in the dark then on the page you are now
    >looking at is a link: About Dynamic Properties, wherein you will learn all
    >you need to know about using jscript to change dynamic properties. There are
    >even a few working examples.
    >
    >There, that wasn't hard now, was it, and it sure would save days of bleating
    >on a usenet group :)


    Thanks for being the only person here that actually gave a useful
    answer. I'll decide in the end whether the marquee tag will be of use
    to me. But *I* wanted to make that judgement, not that asshole Karl
    Cole(there's at least one like him in every NG).
     
    The Devil's Advocate©, Oct 13, 2004
    #19
  20. The Devil's Advocate©

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:57:31 GMT, The Devil's Advocate©
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for being the only person here that actually gave a useful
    > answer.


    You know, **** you. I gave you precise search terms to direct you to a
    site with your answer. You can go shove a bottle up your ass.
     
    Neal, Oct 13, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. et

    Marquee with a dataset?

    et, Oct 17, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,251
    Mark Rae
    Oct 17, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    Marquee from database

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=, Apr 6, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,986
    James Steele
    Apr 6, 2005
  3. shruds
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    845
    John C. Bollinger
    Jan 27, 2006
  4. Replies:
    8
    Views:
    833
  5. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    191
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    May 25, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page