RFC: persisting a dataset

Eric Sabine

I guess this is a request for comment (suggestion) type post.

When a page loads, a dataset is filled and databound to a combobox. The
dataset has 4 columns. Later in the application the user will do something
that requires me to grab the selected data from the combobox and search
against that dataset, but I believe the dataset itself goes out of scope
after the page loads initially. So I wonder what is the best way to find
these data later. Do I store the remaining 3 columns by concatenating them
(maybe comma delimited) and store them in the DataValueField of the combo
box and just parse out the column I need later, or is there some better to
keep the original dataset alive during the user's web session. What is
considered the better way to do this?

Thanks
Eric

Kyril Magnos

I would put the dataset into the HttpContext.Current.Cache and use it from
there (making sure to update it as I need to). That is what the Cache is
designed for.

--
HTH

Kyril Magnos
"I'm not a developer anymore, I'm a software engineer now!" :)

|I guess this is a request for comment (suggestion) type post.
|
| When a page loads, a dataset is filled and databound to a combobox. The
| dataset has 4 columns. Later in the application the user will do
something
| that requires me to grab the selected data from the combobox and search
| against that dataset, but I believe the dataset itself goes out of scope
| after the page loads initially. So I wonder what is the best way to find
| these data later. Do I store the remaining 3 columns by concatenating
them
| (maybe comma delimited) and store them in the DataValueField of the combo
| box and just parse out the column I need later, or is there some better to
| keep the original dataset alive during the user's web session. What is
| considered the better way to do this?
|
| Thanks
| Eric

Eric Sabine