    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Rob
    :)

    Robert Mark Bram, Jul 19, 2003

  2. "Robert Mark Bram" <> wrote:

    > Can anyone point out to me a site listing all of the rgb colour
    > names?

    Define "all". Do you mean color names in HTML, CSS, or JavaScript?
    Which version?

    The relevant specifications, if you care to consult them, give the
    official lists. And on the Web, there's a rich supply of bogosity in
    the form of compilations of color names that some people think that are
    recognized by browsers, without bothering to check how differently
    different browsers handle them, or to think about the fact that by CSS
    specifications, a conforming browser _must_ ignore a CSS declaration
    that uses a color name which is not in the CSS specification.

    The practical answer is that you don't need the color names. Design the
    use of colors by using suitable color charts and color pickers and
    graphics programs, which give you the color codes numerically. It's
    simplest to stick to six-digit hexadecimal notations like #0033ff,
    since they work in all of the "languages" (HTML, CSS, JavaScript).

    Well, you might use the color names white and black. They are rather
    easy to remember, and standard. Other standard color names are seldom a
    good idea on Web pages, since they tend to be too strong on computer
    screen, which is still one of the most common media of accessing pages.

    Followups randomized the usual way to stop foolish crossposting.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Robert Mark Bram

    kayodeok Guest

    "Robert Mark Bram" <> wrote in

    > Howdy All!
    >
    > Can anyone point out to me a site listing all of the rgb colour names?

    I am sure there is at least a million of them, but most sites simply
    concentrate on 216 "web-safe colors".

    Example of such a site is the color picker from EchoEcho:
    http://www.echoecho.com/toolcolorpicker.htm

    Or, as Jukka suggested, use a software to generate the required color, an
    example of such a software is
    SLUGS (Simple Little Utility for Generating Schemes)
    http://www.opensourcepan.co.uk/programs/slugs/

    This site gives some background on Web-Safe Colors and why it is no longer
    necessary:
    http://www.lynda.com/hex.html

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm

    kayodeok, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Robert Mark Bram

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Robert Mark Bram" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy DU!
    >
    > This page says there are only 16 colours:
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-color
    >
    > But in my IE 5 and Netscape 7.1, all of these work:
    > aqua, black, blue, brown, cyan, gold, gray, green, indigo, lavender, lime,
    > maroon, navy, olive, orange, pink, purple, red, royalblue, silver,
    > slategray, tan, teal, turquiose, violet, white, yellow

    The other colour names are Netscape inventions, not part of any W3C
    standard. IE traditionally has supported them (don't know about IE6 in
    standards mode), but it is most unwise to use them.

    C A Upsdell, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Robert Mark Bram

    Don McCahill Guest

    Robert Mark Bram wrote:

    > Howdy All!
    >
    > Can anyone point out to me a site listing all of the rgb colour names? I
    > know these are some of them:
    >
    > -Black #000000
    > White #FFFFFF
    > Red #FF0000
    > Green #00FF00
    > Blue #0000FF
    > Yellow #FFFF00
    > Cyan #00FFFF
    > Magenta #FF00FF
    >
    > But I would like to see a complete list if there is one.
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Rob
    > :)

    Here's one I built in learning PHP. It lists all the Pantone colors,
    Websafe colors, and Netscape-named colors (which is what you are looking
    for).

    The Netscape colors are good ones, but you should call them through
    their numbers, not the names, which are non-compliant to web standards
    (which is what the others here have been telling you in their unique
    way).

    My page is at http://www.whilo.com/pantone/color.php

    Don McCahill, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Robert Mark Bram

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Ernest Cline" <> wrote in message

    > "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@> wrote in message
    > > "Robert Mark Bram" <> wrote in

    > message
    > > > Howdy DU!
    > > >
    > > > This page says there are only 16 colours:
    > > > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-color
    > > >
    > > > But in my IE 5 and Netscape 7.1, all of these work:
    > > > aqua, black, blue, brown, cyan, gold, gray, green, indigo, lavender,

    > lime,
    > > > maroon, navy, olive, orange, pink, purple, red, royalblue, silver,
    > > > slategray, tan, teal, turquiose, violet, white, yellow

    > > The other colour names are Netscape inventions, not part of any W3C
    > > standard. IE traditionally has supported them (don't know about IE6 in
    > > standards mode), but it is most unwise to use them.

    > Actually the colors come from the X11 windows system which is the usual
    > windowing system on UNIX amd LINUX systems. The colors were largely named
    > without too much rhyme or reason, but they are standardized and are part

    of
    > SVG and the CSS3 standards.

    Re X11, I'll take your word for it. Re CSS3, that is something I didn't
    know: others may be interested in looking at the proposed spec, at:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#svg-color

    C A Upsdell, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Robert Mark Bram

    Mr. Clean Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Robert Mark Bram wrote:
    > >
    > > Howdy All!
    > >
    > > Can anyone point out to me a site listing all of the rgb colour names? I
    > > know these are some of them:
    > >
    > > -Black #000000
    > > White #FFFFFF
    > > Red #FF0000
    > > Green #00FF00
    > > Blue #0000FF
    > > Yellow #FFFF00
    > > Cyan #00FFFF
    > > Magenta #FF00FF
    > >
    > > But I would like to see a complete list if there is one.
    > >
    > > Any help would be most appreciated.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > > :)

    > Here's one I built in learning PHP. It lists all the Pantone colors,
    > Websafe colors, and Netscape-named colors (which is what you are looking
    > for).
    >
    > The Netscape colors are good ones, but you should call them through
    > their numbers, not the names, which are non-compliant to web standards
    > (which is what the others here have been telling you in their unique
    > way).
    >
    > My page is at http://www.whilo.com/pantone/color.php

    Would you mind posting the php code for that?

    Mr. Clean, Jul 21, 2003
  8. you could just go to www.lissaexplains.com and click on the ADD COLOR button or
    go to www.webmonkey.com and click on hexidecimal color chart. :0) Hope this
    helps.