Rice installation issue.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by George Thomas, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. I have rice gem (rice-1.1.0.gem) downloaded to my folder C:\Ruby19

    I have tried the following at command prompt window to install rice.

    gem install rice

    However , I am getting the following error:

    <<

    Building native extensions. This could take a while…
    ERROR: Error installing rice:
    ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb

    Gem file will remain installed in
    C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rice-1.1.0 for inspection.

    Results logged to
    C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rice-1.1.0/gem_make.out
    <<

    I think rice gem is not installed properly in my PC.I have tried calling
    require ‘mkmf-rice’ from the Interactive Ruby Window and it does not
    find the file.

    How can I overcome the issue and install rice?

    Regards,
    George
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    George Thomas, Oct 13, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. George Thomas

    Ilan Berci Guest

    George Thomas wrote:
    > I have rice gem (rice-1.1.0.gem) downloaded to my folder C:\Ruby19
    >
    > I have tried the following at command prompt window to install rice.
    >
    > gem install rice
    >
    > However , I am getting the following error:
    >
    > <<
    >
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while…
    > ERROR: Error installing rice:
    > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    >


    You are trying to install a gem that requires compilation and you are on
    Windows box which means that you either don't have a compiler (such as
    MSVC) or you installed the wrong gem (There may be a windows version for
    "rice")

    hth

    ilan


    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Ilan Berci, Oct 13, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ilan Berci wrote:
    > You are trying to install a gem that requires compilation and you are on
    > Windows box which means that you either don't have a compiler (such as
    > MSVC) or you installed the wrong gem (There may be a windows version for
    > "rice")


    and/or the gem might not be compatible with ruby 1.9.

    I don't see any mention of 1.9 at rice.rubyforge.org, and I've also
    checked out svn/trunk and don't see any mention of 1.9 in the commit
    logs.

    I believe there have been changes to the low-level C API between 1.8 and
    1.9 - these may or may not affect rice.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Brian Candler, Oct 13, 2009
    #3
  4. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Brian Candler <> wrote:

    > Ilan Berci wrote:
    > > You are trying to install a gem that requires compilation and you are on
    > > Windows box which means that you either don't have a compiler (such as
    > > MSVC) or you installed the wrong gem (There may be a windows version for
    > > "rice")

    >
    > and/or the gem might not be compatible with ruby 1.9.
    >
    > I don't see any mention of 1.9 at rice.rubyforge.org, and I've also
    > checked out svn/trunk and don't see any mention of 1.9 in the commit
    > logs.
    >
    > I believe there have been changes to the low-level C API between 1.8 and
    > 1.9 - these may or may not affect rice.
    > --
    > Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    >
    >


    Rice is not 1.9 compatible right now. I hope to get that taken care of soon
    (slated for 1.4).

    George, can you post what's
    in C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rice-1.1.0/gem_make.out

    Though as for building on Windows, I know it works over Cygwin, I doubt it
    works over mingw, and I know it's not going to compile over VisualStudio
    tools.

    I'm working on a 1.3 release which I hope to have out soon. 1.1 is quite old
    and there's been a ton of work since then. I'd recommend getting the source
    from http://github.com/jameskilton/rice and building from there until this
    new release is out.

    Also, we've got our own mailing list:
    http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-rice or I idle on IRC freenode
    #ruby-rice for further help.

    Jason
     
    Jason Roelofs, Oct 13, 2009
    #4

  5. > George, can you post what's
    > in C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rice-1.1.0/gem_make.out


    The contents of the file is just
    C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb

    I have installled earlier version of Ruby (1.8.6) in another PC. There
    too I have the same issue and the contents of gem_make.out is

    D:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install rice

    Am I missing some settings?(In both PCs , Visual Studio is installed)

    Regards,
    George

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    George Thomas, Oct 14, 2009
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jonathan Pritchard

    Rice & Chessboard. Doubling Each Square Problem

    Jonathan Pritchard, Sep 11, 2006, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    991
    Keith Thompson
    Sep 15, 2006
  2. Jason Roelofs
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    134
    Paul Brannan
    Feb 11, 2008
  3. Jason Roelofs

    [ANN] Rice 1.0.1 - Bug Fixes

    Jason Roelofs, Feb 18, 2008, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    80
    Jason Roelofs
    Feb 18, 2008
  4. Arlen Cuss
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    76
    Arlen Cuss
    Apr 12, 2008
  5. kungfu-free
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    452
    kungfu-free
    Feb 9, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page