Rich Thin Clients are URGENTLY needed for java!!!

Keith

Hello,

After my work place team just got back from a Macromedia Flex training
session, we are all ready to abandon Java and go with Cold Fusion....
Their flex tool builds front end interfaces that put
Jsp/Servlets/Struts/ apps to shame... I would sure hope that the open
source community would develop an alternative Rich thin client
environment.

Check out this URL:
https://reservations.ihotelier.com/onescreen.cfm?hotelid=2867

Ryan Stewart

Keith said:
Hello,

After my work place team just got back from a Macromedia Flex training
session, we are all ready to abandon Java and go with Cold Fusion....
Their flex tool builds front end interfaces that put
Jsp/Servlets/Struts/ apps to shame... I would sure hope that the open
source community would develop an alternative Rich thin client
environment.

Check out this URL:
https://reservations.ihotelier.com/onescreen.cfm?hotelid=2867
Macromedia == front
Java == back
That page could as easily have been served as a JSP. It has nothing to do with
Java vs. ColdFusion (*shudder*) and everything to do with the user having a
Macromedia plugin capable of rendering all of that. That being the case, it is
not technically a thin client. The site itself, besides being horribly invalid,
is not a great example of what Macromedia can do anyway. With a bit of work you
could achieve nearly the same or identical results just using JavaScript and
HTML with CSS which would also load significantly faster and be accessible to
many more visitors.

Keith

Hello,

My point EXACTLY (well, kinda)... java just doesn't have a front end
(swing apps are TOOOO heavy)!! DHTML is a very poor comparison to flex.
Granted, the demo url I provided is not the best flash flex
application, but you should download the trial from macromedia and see
the samples, THEY WILL BLOW YOU AWAY....

My larger point was that java basically has an equivalent plugin in
java web start, so why wouldn't the open source community be working on
this.... check out the demos on thinklets.com.... This could be the
next wave in front end guis...

Keith