Richard Grimes' book "Developing Applications With Visual Studio.NET"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy Turner, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Andy Turner

    Andy Turner Guest

    [Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]

    I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
    from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
    The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
    stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
    This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
    soon, that I should hang on for?

    On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
    where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
    procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
    new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

    Cheers

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Oct 15, 2003

  2. I don't know about Richard's book, but I do know that second and third
    editions of popular tech books are pretty common. Addison-Wesley and MSPress
    (both of whom I work with) are planning second editions of various .NET
    books already.

    --
    John
    Director, Product Management

    John Montgomery [MSFT], Oct 19, 2003

  3. Andy Turner

    Stoyan Damov Guest

    Well, with all due respect, there's no way you've never heard of Richard's
    book. It's published by Microsoft Press and is the best book (out of 3 I've
    read) for Managed C++.

    Cheers,
    Stoyan

    Stoyan Damov, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Andy Turner

    Andy Turner Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:59:53 -0700, "John Montgomery [MSFT]"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't know about Richard's book, but I do know that second and third
    >editions of popular tech books are pretty common. Addison-Wesley and MSPress
    >(both of whom I work with) are planning second editions of various .NET
    >books already.

    OK, cheers to all who answered. Richard himself doesn't seem to be
    around, so perhaps he's busy with the second edition! I've working
    through a different book at the minute, so I can afford to wait a
    while and see what happens. Though I might try contacting Richard
    directly, I just figured I'd try a less entrusive route first.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Andy Turner wrote:
    > [Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
    > from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
    > The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
    > stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
    > This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
    > soon, that I should hang on for?

    I haven't updated the book for v1.1, but for the second printing I did do an
    update for erata from the first printing. I have a vague idea to do a 2nd
    edition for Whidbey, but that will be a long way off (and I really do need
    some persuading).

    I have done a 2nd edition for my Managed C++ book where I added the new
    features that appeared in VS.NET 2003 (Everett).

    > On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
    > where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
    > procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
    > new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

    It depends on the book. On the one hand its not nice letting a book die (as
    my ATL books have had to, because I don't think there is enough of a market
    for me to spend the effor updating them). On the other hand, if the
    publisher thinks there is a market, then its worth the effort on commercial
    grounds.

    For example, an update for my AW book for Whidbey will actually be a total
    rewrite. When you consider that for the original book I spent 18 months
    working with .NET before I started writing, and then a solid 6 months of
    writing followed by 3 months of editing, you'll consider that the book was a
    considerable effort and the royalties needed to reflect that. Also, I needed
    some income during that time (OK the initial 18 months were funded by
    royalties from my other books and .NET articles and talks at conferences),
    and few publishers are likely to pay an advanced that is equivalent to 6
    months of a developer's income (for example).

    With a few notable exceptions I guess most tech books are labours of love
    rather than commercial undertakings. Now that the US economy is so bad I
    would imagine that it is more a labour of love these days.

    Richard
    --
    my email is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)

    Richard Grimes [MVP], Oct 27, 2003
  6. I didn't say I hadn't *heard* about it; I meant to say I didn't know when it
    would be published. :)

    John Montgomery [MSFT], Oct 30, 2003
  7. Andy Turner

    Andy Turner Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:31:42 -0000, "Richard Grimes [MVP]" <read my
    sig> wrote:

    >Andy Turner wrote:
    >> [Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
    >> from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
    >> The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
    >> stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
    >> This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
    >> soon, that I should hang on for?

    >I haven't updated the book for v1.1, but for the second printing I did do an
    >update for erata from the first printing. I have a vague idea to do a 2nd
    >edition for Whidbey, but that will be a long way off (and I really do need
    >some persuading).

    OK, cheers for that Richard. I'll look into buying the original
    edition, though I'll wait until I've finished with the book I'm
    currently ploughing through, and then I suspect yours will add more
    detail and depth.

    >> On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
    >> where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
    >> procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
    >> new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

    >It depends on the book. On the one hand its not nice letting a book die (as
    >my ATL books have had to, because I don't think there is enough of a market
    >for me to spend the effor updating them). On the other hand, if the
    >publisher thinks there is a market, then its worth the effort on commercial
    >grounds.

    Yeah, fair enough on the ATL books because ATL isn't really a moving
    technology anymore. but of course .NET is.

    Cheers for the reply.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Nov 3, 2003