Riddle me this

Roedy Green

All these distribution dont include negative numbers?

A normal is clustered about a mean, nominally 0, with symmetric tails
left and right.

Poisson is a distribution of positive numbers.

Just what do these numbers measure?

Scott Ellsworth

Andrew said:
Not sure what you mean by mathematical definable group.
But I assume you mean the distribution of the data.

Or, alternatively, the source of the data, and why you feel that a
cutoff of negative values should exist.
Its vague to you Andrew because its not your area of expertise - not my
'vague description'.

No, you were vague. Every decent statistician I know, and I do know a
few, makes fairly precise statements about the data source, and why,
therefore, certain data can be assumed an outlier.

Bayesians seem to talk _only_ about their prior.

Your could just as easily be a U[-124,12] as a normal, poisson, or
exponential. Without some reason to declare -124 an outlier, I would be
very wary of dropping a sixth of my data points.

Now if there are actually more lurking in there, then you might be able
to perform a reasonable test to determine the negative outlier cutoff.

Scott

John C. Bollinger

Chris said:
OTOH, it might be simplest to punt the question to the user, and have a
configurable parameter. If you do that then you should follow hallowed
practice and:

[ROFL]

Shhhh! You forgot to make him to promise to use his knowledge only for
good! :^)

Sharp Tool

Sharp said:
Very sound assessment, coming from someone who first stated
the numbers had no 'normal distribution' and is now saying
it does, and that a confidence level of 95% 'sounds good'.

I said I believe it has a normal distribution, which I later clarified it
didn't.
Andrew you have a real attitude problem.
Sharp Tool

[ Seems a little 'blunt' at the moment.. ;-) ]

As blunt as your sense of humour.

Sharp Tool

Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas Hawtin coughed up:
This newsgroup probably isn't the best place to find statisticians
(although I guess there are a few).

No, but comp.programming often has quite a few folks from many mathematics
related fields, statistics being one of them.

....[rip]...

--
I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
error and tries to cover it up by thinking
fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
only succeeds in looking worse.

Thomas Hawtin

Thomas said:
Thomas Hawtin coughed up:

No, but comp.programming often has quite a few folks from many mathematics
related fields, statistics being one of them.

There's probably more people who could help with my PC problems. I
insert a KVR333X64C25/512 in the second slot of my eSys ePC Celeron-D
315 and it doesn't boot. Please advice.

Tom Hawtin, BSc (Hons) Mathematics

Chris Uppal

Thomas said:
There's probably more people who could help with my PC problems. I
insert a KVR333X64C25/512 in the second slot of my eSys ePC Celeron-D
315 and it doesn't boot. Please advice.

I think there's a Jakarta commons project for diagnosing PC boot problems. Or
maybe it's one of the incubator projects. I can't remember the name off-hand,
but Google'l find it for you.

-- chris

(Just joking, of course, but you take my point ?)

Sharp Tool

Thomas said:
There's probably more people who could help with my PC problems. I
insert a KVR333X64C25/512 in the second slot of my eSys ePC Celeron-D
315 and it doesn't boot. Please advice.

Tom Hawtin, BSc (Hons) Mathematics

Buy a new computer.

Sharp Tool

John C. Bollinger

Thomas said:
There's probably more people who could help with my PC problems. I
insert a KVR333X64C25/512 in the second slot of my eSys ePC Celeron-D
315 and it doesn't boot. Please advice.

Um, take it back out?

Does the computer boot with only the new module (in either slot)?

Does the computer POST? If so then you should be able to get into the
BIOS setup, where you should check whether the system recognizes the RAM
at all (if not, see first suggestion). Choosing the option to reset the
BIOS to default settings may help, but sometimes all it takes is to get
into BIOS setup once in the first place, and then the computer sorts it out.

Does the first slot also have a 512MB module? Some motherboards have
odd restrictions about the combinations of module sizes that are
allowed, or the order that the slots must be filled if the modules are
dissimilar.

Some RAM is simply incompatible with some system boards, despite having
the correct packaging for plugging it in. If you can determine the
motherboard make and model (it may be stenciled somewhere on the board)
then you may be able to find a copy of its manual on line. Referring to
that would be much better than diddling around trying random things.