Riddle me this....

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by jim, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites for a
    small franchise.

    Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host. Each
    store's website is drastically different from every other.

    They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.

    I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
    the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).

    Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would there
    be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central site
    with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because frames make
    bookmarking difficult for end users)?

    Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central site
    that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case, what web
    host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current web hosting
    company (Brinkster).

    jim
    jim, Feb 25, 2008

  2. jim

    Guest

    Working on similar things, I know it can get quite ugly. You could
    use includes but it really gets messy having part data local and part
    remote.

    I would try to get it all one domain, set up the franchise specific
    data in a database (and any pics as specifically named files -
    storexxx.jpg) and host it all at corporate. You can let the
    franchises keep thier domains, but on their site, use header() to
    redirect to the corporate site (along with a ?storeid=xxx on the URL)
    This way they can keep their email addresses.

    Larry
    , Feb 25, 2008

  3. jim

    jim Guest

    "Jerry Stuckle" <> wrote in message
    > jim wrote:
    >> I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites
    >> for a small franchise.
    >>
    >> Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host.
    >> Each store's website is drastically different from every other.
    >>
    >> They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.
    >>
    >> I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
    >> the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).
    >>
    >> Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would
    >> there be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central
    >> site with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because
    >> frames make bookmarking difficult for end users)?
    >>
    >> Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central
    >> site that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case,
    >> what web host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current
    >> web hosting company (Brinkster).
    >>
    >> jim

    > It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
    > wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
    > requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
    >
    > As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
    > http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
    > for comments pro and con before buying.

    Thanks for the post and the link!

    jm
    jim, Feb 25, 2008
  4. jim

    > jim wrote:
    >> I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites
    >> for a small franchise.
    >>
    >> Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host.
    >> Each store's website is drastically different from every other.
    >>
    >> They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.
    >>
    >> I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
    >> the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).
    >>
    >> Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would
    >> there be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central
    >> site with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because
    >> frames make bookmarking difficult for end users)?
    >>
    >> Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central
    >> site that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case,
    >> what web host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current
    >> web hosting company (Brinkster).
    >>
    >> jim

    > It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
    > wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
    > requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
    >
    > As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
    > http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
    > for comments pro and con before buying.

    BTW, that link blows. Do you know that you cannot post URLs in your "first
    5 posts" in that forum?

    How crazy is that? I needed to post sample URLs to show what I hate about
    my current hosting provider's handling of subdomains. So, I had to hack up
    the URLs to get past that very annoying (and completely useless - IMHO)
    limitation.

    Thanks anyway. We'll see if I get any replies before they kick me off the
    forum.....

    jim
    jim, Feb 25, 2008
  5. jim

    jim Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "jim" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [cross-posting removed]

    WAH HOO! Newsgroup police!

    We wouldn't want to spread any knowledge around now would we?

    [cross-posting re-added]

    >> If this is the case, what web host would you suggest using?

    > http://www.hostinguk.net/services/platinumplus_hosting_plans.asp

    Not a bad hosting plan. But, I did find this a bit strange...."Price:
    £249.99 per year or £20.83 a month" - you actually save a few cents by
    paying monthly. In the states, you usually get a discount for paying for
    the whole year up front.

    > I already do almost exactly what you are intending to do, for around 30
    > bands and music sites...
    >
    > E.g. click the Log In button in the top right-hand corner of the following
    > sites:
    > http://www.inthecage.co.uk/home/default.aspx
    > http://www.sanctuaryrig.co.uk/home/default.aspx
    > http://www.kcityradio.co.uk/home/default.aspx
    >
    > That's exactly the same site - just different themes, etc...

    Yes. I think I'll host all of the sites myself and either take over the
    domain name administration as a part of the service or simply redirect their
    site to mine with a store ID to retrive the correct data and build the pages
    dynamically.

    Thanks for the post....and feel free to let the information flow. It's nice
    to help others.

    jim
    jim, Feb 25, 2008
  6. jim

    > jim wrote:
    >> "Jerry Stuckle" <> wrote in message

    >>> It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
    >>> wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
    >>> requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
    >>>
    >>> As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
    >>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
    >>> for comments pro and con before buying.

    >> BTW, that link blows. Do you know that you cannot post URLs in your
    >> "first 5 posts" in that forum?
    >>
    >> How crazy is that? I needed to post sample URLs to show what I hate
    >> about my current hosting provider's handling of subdomains. So, I had to
    >> hack up the URLs to get past that very annoying (and completely useless -
    >> IMHO) limitation.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyway. We'll see if I get any replies before they kick me off
    >> the forum.....
    >>
    >> jim

    > Yes, that's standard to keep down the spam. It's one of the things I like
    > about the site.
    >
    > But you don't need to post a URL to tell people about your problems.

    Perhaps. But, I find it very useful when describing the following....

    "I do have one pet peeve. Let's say I am hosting many domains as subdomains
    under my account. Let's further assume that one domain is abc.com and one is
    123.com.

    Currently, at Brinkster, I'd have abc.com in folder root/abc and 123 in
    root/123. Even redirecting the domains to the proper folder, the address bar
    URLS always look like http://www.abc.com/abc/home.htm or
    http://ww.123.com/123/home.htm. I want them to look like
    http://www.abc.com/home.htm and Http://www.123.com/home.htm - without the
    references to the subfolders that they are actually in on the server."

    jim
    jim, Feb 25, 2008