    Are people actually now so moronic they type in "comp.lang.c" and post
    a Java question and this doesn't raise a red flag in their cognition?

    Zach
    Zach, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Zach <> writes:
    > Just looked through the lastest 10 messages or so, and at least half
    > of them were about offtopic stuff and 3 others were spam!
    >
    > I wish people would exercise some common sense and civility. Sick of
    > wading through posts about Ada, Java, C++, XML and everything else
    > except C.
    >
    > Are people actually now so moronic they type in "comp.lang.c" and post
    > a Java question and this doesn't raise a red flag in their cognition?

    Not exactly. Zach, you've been had.

    Somebody is deliberately posting inflammatory messages in various
    newsgroups with followups set to comp.lang.c. Many of these messages
    are posted under phony names apparently intended to ridicule some of
    the clc regulars (one used "Chuck Heathfield"), and most of them have
    message-ids faked to make it appear as if I had posted them.

    Readers in those other newsgroups are posting followups without
    noticing the "followup-to" to comp.lang.c.

    And you've just posted followups to about 10 of them, all here in
    comp.lang.c where the posters you're complaining about will never see
    them.

    Eventually this troll will get tired of his pathetic little game and
    go away. (And if you think I'm being inconsistent by posting this
    followup, keep in mind that I'm addressing this to *you*, not to the
    troll.)

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Feb 4, 2009

  3. On 4 Feb 2009 at 2:44, Zach wrote:
    > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    > very unhealthy behaviour.

    Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance and
    blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this thread. The
    "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption, but we should always
    remember that the indirect cause is the stupidity and hypocrisy of the
    "regulars" who have provided endless petty provocations for this flurry
    of "troll" posts.

    I hope that before long we can all get back to answering people's
    real-world C questions (in some cases) or giving penny lectures on
    "topicality" (in all too many other cases).
    Antoninus Twink, Feb 4, 2009
  4. Zach

    Chad Guest

    On Feb 4, 12:51 pm, Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    > On  4 Feb 2009 at  2:44, Zach wrote:
    >
    > > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    > > very unhealthy behaviour.

    > Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance and
    > blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this thread.  The
    > "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption, but we should always
    > remember that the indirect cause is the stupidity and hypocrisy of the
    > "regulars" who have provided endless petty provocations for this flurry
    > of "troll" posts.
    >
    > I hope that before long we can all get back to answering people's
    > real-world C questions (in some cases) or giving penny lectures on
    > "topicality" (in all too many other cases).

    Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered my C
    questions on here.
    Chad, Feb 4, 2009
  5. In article <>,
    Chad <> wrote:
    >Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered my C
    >questions on here.

    Only if your definition of "C" matches their (extremely limited) definition.
    Kenny McCormack, Feb 4, 2009
  6. Zach

    John Bode Guest

    Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
    these bullshit threads. I hope you're happy.

    NSFW language follows.

    On Feb 4, 2:51 pm, Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    > On  4 Feb 2009 at  2:44, Zach wrote:
    >
    > > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    > > very unhealthy behaviour.

    > Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance and
    > blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this thread.  The
    > "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption, but we should always
    > remember that the indirect cause is the stupidity and hypocrisy of the
    > "regulars" who have provided endless petty provocations for this flurry
    > of "troll" posts.

    Give me a fucking break. This isn't the fault of anyone except some
    jackass who *seriously* needs to find a better hobby. In the past,
    anyone who had a problem with Keith's (or Heathfield's, or my)
    behavior said so straight up and one of three things would happen:

    1. The chastened "regular" would modify his behavior (I've tried to
    be less brusque and be more polite in redirecting off-topic questions,
    if not always successfully);

    2. The individual making the complaint would adjust to (and
    eventually embrace) the group's collectively grumpy personality; or

    3. The individual would find a different group to participate in.

    The typical response was *not* to troll random newsgroups and redirect
    the sludge to c.l.c, because that's not how *rational adults* behave.
    S**** N**** was legitimately bugfuck *nuts* and even *he* didn't do
    that. What's happening now is nobody's fault except for some immature
    fuckwad who thinks vandalism is funny.
    John Bode, Feb 4, 2009
  7. Zach

    Guest

    On 4 Feb, 21:54, (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
    > In article <>,Chad  <> wrote:

    > >Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered my C
    > >questions on here.

    > Only if your definition of "C" matches their (extremely limited) definition.

    Well, yes, but if it does, the likes of Keith, Richard H and others do
    help. And when I've got a question not directly to do with the C
    language, I can take it to an appropriate newsgroup, or failing that,
    comp.programming, which does seem to take more or less anything
    without complaint.
    , Feb 4, 2009
  8. John Bode <> writes:
    > Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
    > these bullshit threads. I hope you're happy.

    [...]

    Nobody *made* you respond to a troll.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Feb 4, 2009
  9. On 4 Feb 2009 at 22:21, John Bode wrote:
    > Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
    > these bullshit threads. I hope you're happy.

    Of course I'm not happy that so much time has to be wasted on these
    bullshit threads. Life would be a whole lot more pleasant if the
    "regulars" could get over themselves and learn to live and let live, so
    that we could all discuss real-world C for a change.

    >>  The "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption, but we should
    >> always remember that the indirect cause is the stupidity and
    >> hypocrisy of the "regulars" who have provided endless petty
    >> provocations for this flurry of "troll" posts.

    > Give me a fucking break. This isn't the fault of anyone except some
    > jackass who *seriously* needs to find a better hobby.

    I don't disagree with your assessment of the idiotic puerility of the
    recent splashback attacks and their perpetrator(s) (though the Kuyper
    psychiatrist one was undeniably very amusing).

    But you have to agree that some people make a rod for their own backs.

    It's like the kid wearing a "kick me" sign: sure, you can't condone the
    classmate who follows that instruction, but you have to say that the
    outcome was entirely predictable.

    The hypersensitivity of Heathfield, Thomson, etc. to "topicality"
    questions is a great big sign saying "troll me". Except it's not just
    the topicality bores who suffer - the whole group has to pay the price.

    > The typical response was *not* to troll random newsgroups and redirect
    > the sludge to c.l.c, because that's not how *rational adults* behave.

    I would be surprised if the person(s) responsible for the splashback
    posts have ever posted to clc before. Either lurkers or outsiders is my
    guess.

    > What's happening now is nobody's fault except for some immature
    > fuckwad who thinks vandalism is funny.

    Sure, it's his fault. But this is an effect with indirect causes too.
    Antoninus Twink, Feb 4, 2009
  10. Zach

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:46:11 -0800, Keith Thompson wrote:

    > John Bode <> writes:
    >> Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
    >> these bullshit threads. I hope you're happy.

    > [...]
    >
    > Nobody *made* you respond to a troll.

    Nobody makes you have to have every post in clc be your business.

    How many people have you, in the course of your long tenure as the person
    who embodies The Topic, trolled out of clc? Maybe you can regale us with
    some stories.

    You piss enough people off, it comes home to roost. I've decided that I do
    better with fortran and perl than I do with C, so I concentrate my own
    programming elsewhere and am happier to hang out where they tolerate my
    eccentricies.
    --
    larry gates

    I think so--a pair can always pretend to be a very small hash.
    -- Larry Wall in <>
    Larry Gates, Feb 4, 2009
  11. Zach

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chad wrote:
    > Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    >> Zach wrote:
    >>
    >>> The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help.
    >>> This is very unhealthy behaviour.

    >> Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance
    >> and blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this
    >> thread. The "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption,
    >> but we should always remember that the indirect cause is the
    >> stupidity and hypocrisy of the "regulars" who have provided
    >> endless petty provocations for this flurry of "troll" posts.
    >>
    >> I hope that before long we can all get back to answering
    >> people's real-world C questions (in some cases) or giving
    >> penny lectures on "topicality" (in all too many other cases).

    > Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered
    > my C questions on here.

    Please avoid responding to Twinks troll posts in any way. He is a
    pure troll, bent on causing trouble in the newsgroup.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Feb 5, 2009
  12. Zach

    CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:
    > (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
    >> Chad <> wrote:

    >>> Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered
    >>> my C questions on here.

    >> Only if your definition of "C" matches their (extremely limited)
    >> definition.

    > Well, yes, but if it does, the likes of Keith, Richard H and
    > others do help. And when I've got a question not directly to do
    > with the C language, I can take it to an appropriate newsgroup,
    > or failing that, comp.programming, which does seem to take more
    > or less anything without complaint.

    Please also include McCormack and Han in the list of trolls never
    to be responded to.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Feb 5, 2009
  13. Zach

    Richard Guest

    CBFalconer <> writes:

    > Chad wrote:
    >> Antoninus Twink <> wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance
    >>> and blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this
    >>> thread. The "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption,
    >>> but we should always remember that the indirect cause is the
    >>> stupidity and hypocrisy of the "regulars" who have provided
    >>> endless petty provocations for this flurry of "troll" posts.
    >>>
    >>> I hope that before long we can all get back to answering
    >>> people's real-world C questions (in some cases) or giving
    >>> penny lectures on "topicality" (in all too many other cases).

    >> Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered
    >> my C questions on here.

    > Please avoid responding to Twinks troll posts in any way. He is a
    > pure troll, bent on causing trouble in the newsgroup.

    And yet more than 80% of your replies are plain wrong. That combined
    with your rudeness and inflated self regard makes you worse than a
    troll. Please go away and let real programmers answer the questions and
    guide new programmers.
    Richard, Feb 5, 2009
  14. Zach

    Ian Collins Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Please go away and let real programmers answer the questions and
    > guide new programmers.

    When was the last time you answered a question?

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Feb 5, 2009
  15. Zach

    Richard Guest

    Ian Collins <> writes:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> Please go away and let real programmers answer the questions and
    >> guide new programmers.

    > When was the last time you answered a question?

    The last time I read one which had not been answered.

    And I frequently offer advice to people on how best to attack their
    issues with the use of good debugging tools and techniques.
    Richard, Feb 5, 2009
  16. Zach

    Zach Guest

    On Feb 3, 9:51 pm, Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    > Zach <> writes:

    > >> Not exactly. Zach, you've been had.

    > [snip]
    >
    > > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    > > very unhealthy behaviour.

    > And you, Zach, need to stop responding to trolls. Do you understand
    > that?

    I was responding to you.

    Zach
    Zach, Feb 5, 2009
  17. Zach

    Guest

    On 4 Feb, 21:20, Chad <> wrote:
    > On Feb 4, 12:51 pm, Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    > > On  4 Feb 2009 at  2:44, Zach wrote:

    > > > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    > > > very unhealthy behaviour.

    > > Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance and
    > > blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this thread.  The
    > > "troll" may be the direct cause of any disruption, but we should always
    > > remember that the indirect cause is the stupidity and hypocrisy of the
    > > "regulars" who have provided endless petty provocations for this flurry
    > > of "troll" posts.

    > > I hope that before long we can all get back to answering people's
    > > real-world C questions (in some cases) or giving penny lectures on
    > > "topicality" (in all too many other cases).

    > Dude, what are you smoking? People like Keith always answered my C
    > questions on here.

    he's trolling. It's best not to respond as it only encourages
    him. He used to post technical stuff, but now he hardly ever
    does.
    , Feb 5, 2009
  18. Zach

    Guest

    On 5 Feb, 04:30, Richard <> wrote:
    > Ian Collins <> writes:
    > > Richard wrote:
    > >> Please go away and let real programmers answer the questions and
    > >> guide new programmers.

    > > When was the last time you answered a question?

    > The last time I read one which had not been answered.
    >
    > And I frequently offer advice to people on how best to attack their
    > issues with the use of good debugging tools and techniques.

    agreed. I don't always agree with your advice but it *is*
    well motivated technical advice.
    , Feb 5, 2009
  19. In article <>,
    Zach <> wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> > The troll doing this really needs to seek psychiatric help. This is
    >> > very unhealthy behaviour.

    >> And you, Zach, need to stop responding to trolls. Do you understand
    >> that?

    >I was responding to you (KT, the biggest "troll" of them all, Ed.).
    >
    >Zach

    Exactly.
    Kenny McCormack, Feb 5, 2009
  20. Zach

    Rui Maciel Guest

    Larry Gates wrote:

    <snip/>
    > You piss enough people off, it comes home to roost.  I've decided that I
    > do better with fortran and perl than I do with C, so I concentrate my own
    > programming elsewhere and am happier to hang out where they tolerate my
    > eccentricies.

    I don't believe that disliking some usenet user is a valid technical reason to chose
    a programming language over another. But to each it's own.

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Feb 5, 2009