ridiculous

Larry Gates

Perfectly true.

If only you and your friends behaved like you believed it, then this
group would be a very different place.

I'm learning.

I've never found myself with a surfeit of james'es.

Nor have I been in want.

Charlton Wilbur

LG> I think what speaks against this is when persons higher up in
LG> the food chain here team up to make sure that a project they
LG> don't like--and about which they tend not to know a steaming
LG> pile of duke--receives no attention.

If your recent appearance in comp.lang.perl.misc is anything to go by, a
more accurate interpretation is that the experts ("persons higher up in
the food chain") start out willing to help a novice, but quickly lose
interest after discovering that you are unwilling to read documentation,
attempt to understand it on your own, or debug code without handholding
by an entire newsgroup.

There is no newsgroup cabal that dictates which posters do and do not
get attention. However, there are well-respected posters, who are
well-respected because they are knowledgeable and reasonably patient
(but not *too* patient), and when other posters see that a few of the
well-respected posters have completely given up on you -- and, because
the exchange is public, they can also see *why* -- interest in helping
you vanishes because you have successfully made yourself not worth
helping.

LG> I write the way I write and am the way I am.

Indeed, and as a result it's no surprise you get the results you do.

Charlton

Antoninus Twink

Hint: it's not working.

Certainly it is proving to be a difficult transition, and the "old
guard" are clinging tenaciously to the last vestiges of their power. But
like childbirth, we must suffer a little pain now to produce a reborn
clc.

Chris McDonald

Antoninus Twink said:
... But
like childbirth, we must suffer a little pain now to produce a reborn
clc.

I feel that it's moving towards being stillborn.

CBFalconer

Rui said:
Could you give an example demonstrating this so called food chain
and point out what makes you feel that other users are higher
than you in this hierarchy?

It does that daily, by posting its off-topic useless trollery.
This is simply a childish method of kicking the door for attention.

On other newsgroups, not dealing with programming, and without a
strict topical rule, it manages to be civilized.

Larry Gates

It does that daily, by posting its off-topic useless trollery.
This is simply a childish method of kicking the door for attention.

On other newsgroups, not dealing with programming, and without a
strict topical rule, it manages to be civilized.

Chuck,

I completely disagree with your characterization of another clc poster as
an "it."

My sister's a canadian. She's *so* different from you.

I know that you're looking at the end of life. Do you want to exit as a
dyspectic texan wannabe?
--
larry gates

As pointed out in a followup, Real Perl Programmers prefer things to be
visually distinct.
-- Larry Wall in <[email protected]>

Richard Bos

Larry Gates said: